PDA

View Full Version : First timer, my wireless card won't work?

DericLee
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm new to this whole Linux thing.

Anyhow, I booted up with knoppix 4.0.2 and it all worked great, except that I can't get online through my wireless network.

I've tried to configure stuff, but when I'm messing around trying to find different options it usually asks me for a "root" or "administrator" password.

So what can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....and is there some kind of default password to access the other settings?("root" and "admin")

Thanks again.

dvryknopper
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Try temporarily setting a password and then it should be there to enter. The wiki (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Root) mentions how to do this. I don't know whether then passwords file is stored in the ramdisk or not, but if it is you should be ok and be able to use the password you enter for the duration of your session, then you could on the command line type savconfig and be walked through what to do to save your settings (not on an NTFS drive or partition). At boot you would type knoppix myconfig=scan to reload them. Hopefully this will be of help, I will try this on my own live cd by tonight to confirm for you, I'm using accelerated knoppix which is based on 4.02 and should still work the same.