PDA

View Full Version : So, I was trying to uninstall some packages and..

NuxIT
04-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I didn't need all the stuff that the knoppix-installer program installed and only had about 2% of my HDD partition left. So, I was using kpackage to uninstall some development packages and kept getting errors about =100 could not remove packages. So, I found python package and uninstalled it because it said it was a development package. I didn't read enough and figured I could free up 340 megs to speed things up. Well that ended up ruining my load by removing konqueror and a bunch of important stuff.

Well, to make a long story short I did a reload off the CD on my dual-boot laptop and decided to choose the Debian install this time instead of the Knoopix load option. That ended up fixing my disk space isue and left me with 20% of my 2.5 gig partition. It also left me with most all the application I loved about the knoppix install like samba network neighborhood, CUPS printing. Another great thing about the Debian load vs knoppix is it gives you options to choose the level of detail in animations and such to scale to a lower end system. So, if you have a older Pentium with 128megs you should try debian load. I still have to make sure everything is working but it seems much quicker. This load also looks identical to the knoppix load. It's basically kde3.