PDA

View Full Version : How to get my wlan work

Mr.Digimon
04-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I have just installed my computer with knoppix 4.0.2 and now when i trying to set my WLan card it dont find the accesspoint, what shuold i do to fix it? 8) [/b]

nine1one4u
04-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi Digimon

A command is set in "command" and hit enter
1. Start a console and type "su -" then you get access to root
2. In console as root type "iwconfig" then you get a listing of the cards.
2.B If you don't see the card type "lspci" and see if you can find the card in that listing.
3. If card found with iwconfig, then do the settings. Setting essid type "iwconfig eth0 essid "network name" " if you don't have a network name skip it.
4. Then I put in the channel I'm sending via, type "iwconfig eth0 channel (your channel number)"
5. If you use encryption it's time to set it now type "iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx" replace the x's with the encryption key
6. Now settings are done and you need to restart network type "network-setup" and go the wizzard choose wlancard and make it accept DHCP

Nine1one4u

dvryknopper
04-18-2006, 02:12 AM
I have just installed my computer with knoppix 4.0.2 and now when i trying to set my WLan card it dont find the accesspoint, what shuold i do to fix it? 8) [/b]
Hi Digimon

I'v just tested out two different pcmcia cards with knoppix 4.0 and just had to configure the wifi settings. I started a consol and changed to root ( su -) no password. Then I typed iwconfig and found lo, eth0 and eth1 so I tryed iwlist eth0/eth1 scan but the cards didt support it. Then I tryed to configure the cards with iwconfig eth0 essid "the network name" and it did't complain so then i set iwconfig eth0 channel 3 and then iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx where the x are my encryption key. The next thing I did was network-setup chosed wlancard to accept dhcp. Viola I'm on the net.

Nine1one4u

ok, I'm confused nine1one4u, I only see you noting ethernet cards here, could you please elaborate on how you got the wlan card to accept dhcp? thx :)

nine1one4u
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
ok, I'm confused nine1one4u, I only see you noting ethernet cards here, could you please elaborate on how you got the wlan card to accept dhcp? thx :)

Hi Digimon

A command is set in "command" and hit enter
1. Start a console and type "su -" then you get access to root
2. In console as root type "iwconfig" then you get a listing of the cards.
2.B If you don't see the card type "lspci" and see if you can find the card in that listing.
3. If card found with iwconfig, then do the settings. Setting essid type "iwconfig eth0 essid "network name" " if you don't have a network name skip it.
4. Then I put in the channel I'm sending via, type "iwconfig eth0 channel (your channel number)"
5. If you use encryption it's time to set it now type "iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx" replace the x's with the encryption key
6. Now settings are done and you need to restart network type "network-setup" and go the wizzard choose wlancard and make it accept DHCP

Nine1one4u[/quote]

Mr.Digimon
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
thx for the tips i shall test it when i get my pc work (it stands still when i try to log in, "Initializing system services" it says and tilts) :roll:

skrall
05-13-2006, 05:29 AM
I use Kwifi to see if knoppix identifies the card. Knoppix starts the wireless card looking for any open network so it always picks the neighbor instead of my wireless. So I change the settings with 3 commands.

My network is uses WEP 64. Key = ascii string "dweeb" ESSID = "home"

iwconfig -eth0 essid home
iwconfig -eth0 key s:dweeb
pump -i eth0

The pump command initiates a DHCP request for IP address.