PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Knoppix 3.4 Grub boot question

clivesay
04-17-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to boot an older version of Knoppix as a poormans with Grub. I can boot the kernel OK but can't seem to figure out init. I get a kernel panic. I tried init=/boot/linuxrc on the append line but it didn't like that. Does anyone remember the 'olden days' of Knoppix to give me a hint how to do this with Grub? Thanks

ruymbeke
04-17-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to boot an older version of Knoppix as a poormans with Grub. I can boot the kernel OK but can't seem to figure out init. I get a kernel panic. I tried init=/boot/linuxrc on the append line but it didn't like that. Does anyone remember the 'olden days' of Knoppix to give me a hint how to do this with Grub? Thanks
Try the link in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53357#53357
and this one: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
Cheers, Gilles

kirol
04-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Copied from a 3.4 isolinux.cfg:

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=uk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

clivesay
04-18-2006, 01:41 AM
I appreciate the help. The info you gave was concerning Knoppix 3.4. I need help with grub and older versions like 3.2 or 3.3. I know how to configure grub itself, I'm just having trouble with this init error. Thanks

ruymbeke
04-18-2006, 03:14 AM
I appreciate the help. The info you gave was concerning Knoppix 3.4. I need help with grub and older versions like 3.2 or 3.3. I know how to configure grub itself, I'm just having trouble with this init error. Thanks
The first version of initrd I have modified for iso boot from ntfs was for Knoppix 3.4
and as far as I know this is the first (and possibly last) version made by the Japanese team as well.
If you are not booting the KNOPPIX cloop image from a ntfs partition, you may try the bootfrom= cheatcode.
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: just as a curiosity, why can't you use a more recent version of Knoppix ?

clivesay
04-18-2006, 03:23 AM
I'll explain why I'm doing this..... :D

I'm building a grub CD that contains a history of releases of Damn Small Linux. I boot the Knoppix 3.4 versions with grub all the time but the old versions of DSL used lilo. I'm trying to figure out how to get the older ones to boot with grub so I can put them on the CD.

Thanks