PDA

View Full Version : Boot Prompt Loop

adamwest
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
I am new to Knoppix. I downloaded it on friday through bitorrent, and burned the ISO file at 2x speed. My computer meets all the requirements and I was able to use Knoppix Friday night, all day Saturday and most of Sunday. On Sunday I was using Knoppix on my laptop while I used my main computer for other applications. When I put my DvD into the main computer and restarted it, I got a Buffer I/O error; i know these come from a corrupt or incomplete ISO file. That is not my problem. My problem is that after the Kernel paniced I ejected the CD and restarted my computer, it took me to the Knoppix boot prompt without the DvD in the drive. I did not partition it to my hard drive. Basically it goes through the same errors, panics, I restart and I'm back at the boot prompt screen. Is it because I could not properly exit Knoppix that some of it is still on the hard drive and loading first before Windows XP does? How would I go about fixing this? I was thinking of trying to burn another DvD and putting it into the drive and hoping it would fix the error and I could exit the program correctly. Any help would be great.

OErjan
04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
first of i want to make a few statements.

if you have NOT made a install this could not happen, simple as that.
why?
FIRST
as Knoippix runs from RAM unless you tell it otherwise, EVERYTHING should vanish with a reboot,
or atleast if you power it of and leave it so for a while.
SECOND
Knoppix does not mount your disks unless you tell it to, and then READ ONLY!
YES you CAN remount read/write but that requires you to make an active choise.
same thing with install. there you have to take SEVERAL actions to achive it.

NOW, to your problem.

what exactly did you try when things went wrong?
what is the error you get?
i am confused, this should not happen, nt withpout you (or someone else) making several active choises.