PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix boot prob

volcomman2003
05-10-2003, 09:10 AM
I just downloaded Knoppix today cause i have decided to try somthing new i am tired of using windows and i downloaded the file then made and iso and started to boot from that then when i typed Knoppix it started then a message came up and said " you have passed an unidentified mode number press <ENTER> to see modes available or press<SPACE>to continue or wait 30 seconds then i said continue and it starts up and then it looks as if i had a screen frequency problem so i restarted and tryed to press enter and it cam up with the numbers 0-6 and said chosse a number and had like numbers so i did trial and error to find the right one and none of them worked what should i do please help me i am really interested in using Knoppix

Henk Poley
05-10-2003, 11:07 AM
I just downloaded Knoppix today cause i have decided to try somthing new i am tired of using windows and i downloaded the file then made and iso and started to boot from that then when i typed Knoppix
You don't need to type anything at the bootprompt, at least not the one you enter directly after booting. You can press F2 though, then you will get a configuration screen where you type in some settings, for example:
knoppix alsa desktop=fluxbox
If you type something at the first prompt it will try to interpret that, but it will fial since there's nothing else than the default boot, as far as I know. It could be that you can specify kernel options there, but that seems a bit over the top to discuss now.

it started then a message came up and said " you have passed an unidentified mode number press <ENTER> to see modes available or press<SPACE>to continue or wait 30 seconds then i said continue and it starts up and then it looks as if i had a screen frequency problem so i restarted and tryed to press enter and it cam up with the numbers 0-6 and said chosse a number and had like numbers so i did trial and error to find the right one and none of them worked what should i do please help me i am really interested in using Knoppix
Yup that message is kinda mystifying for people unknown with 'screen modes', how much character will be put on your screen. You will seee the message if the kernel (the basic operating system) couldn't detect the standard values. These numbers tell how much characters will fit on the X,Y axis of your screen. Pressing the spacebar (on my old P100-40MB machine) works for me though.

Stephen
05-10-2003, 05:58 PM
I just downloaded Knoppix today cause i have decided to try somthing new i am tired of using windows and i downloaded the file then made and iso and started to boot from that then when i typed Knoppix it started then a message came up and said " you have passed an unidentified mode number press <ENTER> to see modes available or press<SPACE>to continue or wait 30 seconds then i said continue and it starts up and then it looks as if i had a screen frequency problem so i restarted and tryed to press enter and it cam up with the numbers 0-6 and said chosse a number and had like numbers so i did trial and error to find the right one and none of them worked what should i do please help me i am really interested in using Knoppix

Try knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600. Have you tried any other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes).