PDA

View Full Version : Kernal panic help

Vamps
04-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I am new to knoppix and when I try to boot it comes up with kernal panic then freezes.
I have tried the cheat codes
knoppix vga=0
knoppix vga=0 debug -b3
failsafe debug -b3

but none of them would boot knoppix does any one know anything that could help me??

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2006, 01:48 AM
What speed was the disc burnt at? Have you tried the testcd boot "cheat code"? And I'm hoping that you confirmed the md5 checksum before burning. Does the CD boot on other systems? Also try booting with "memtest" (not knoppix memtest) at the boot prompt.

Vamps
04-19-2006, 02:02 AM
I do not know what speed the disk was burnt at because I ordered the disk. I tried the testcd cheat code but it just came up with kernel panic error again.

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2006, 02:20 AM
I do not know what speed the disk was burnt at because I ordered the disk.
Well, that's certainly one of the main reasons why I advise against ordering pre-burnt CD"s. The people who sell them almost certainly burn them at high speed to maxamize profit, even though this is well known to cause many booting problems. If the disk is burned CDR media and not a pressed disk (like was distributed at TAG) then I suspect that is highly likely to be the source of the problem. My suggestion would be to download another copy, confirm the md5 sum, and burn it as a slow speed. Or if you don't have the capability to do this, find a friend with a high speed conection and introduce him to Knoppix and make copies for both of you.

Vamps
04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Fixed the problem knoppix works now :D
Thanks for all your help :D

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2006, 09:23 AM
How about telling us what it was to help the next user rather than just post "it's fixed"?