PDA

View Full Version : d-link card not recognized

hunterpritchett
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I am new to linux, and while I would like to think that I now coputers well, I obviously do not compared to everyone on this site.
When I try to use my d-link dwl-650 pcmcia wifi card in knoppix the computer doesn't recognize it (wifi manager program shows a little wireless card with a ? mark).
This seemed like it might be the problem, but I don't know, and even if I did I wouldn't know how to fix it.
When knoppix is loading I see some text that says:
pcmcia device detected starting cardmanager (this isn't exactly right)
[cardmanager]: starting version 3.2.5
[cardmanager]: unsupported card in socket 0
[cardmanager]: product info: "D-link", "DWL-650 wireless PC card RevP", "ISL37101P-10", "A3"
[cardmanager]: manfid: 0x000b, 0x7110 funtion: 6 (network)

Also in an unrelated (hopefully) issue, it then goes on to say that it found a firewire port, but I am pretty damn sure I don't have one, even though I wish I did. but then after that it says twice: "FATAL: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernal/drivers/input/evdev.ko: not directory"

finally it does eventually access a network device, but I'm assuming that it is accesing my ethernet port.
It says "network device eth0 detected DHCP broadcasting for IP." Disappointingly I don't have access to a hardwire ethernet connection.

I am running a toshiba satellite A15-S129.
Your help would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to be thoroughly impressed with whatever you come up with.

hunterpritchett
04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
So I've don a bit more searching (which maybe I should have done before asking questions...) and it seems like I may have to load a seperate driver for my d-link card from http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/ACX111 or possibly a link from d-link support to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

I have two problems:
1. there are approximatly 100 different downloads on the ftp.linux site, with varying extensions including tar.gz, tar.bz2 etc... and I don't know which one I need to get. I have the same problem with the ACX website, though there seems to be less choices.
2. Even if I found the right file I wouldn't know how to add it to knoppix. Do I have to use command prompt in knoppix to add the driver everytime I restart knoppix? more importantly, the directions on the acx page tell me that I should decompress the file into knoppix straight from the internet, which is tough, considering that I need the file to access the internet. Could I download the file in windows and then type it's location from the HD after "wget" (eg wget C:\knoppix driver\acx-20060215.tar.bz2)

I am probably wrong about all of this, but whatever...

vashdragon2001
06-02-2006, 09:52 AM
im the quaint essential noob to Linux :oops:
I have a d-link wireless network card that connects to the laptop by USB and its not detected by knopix.
When I find something that looks like an answer to the problem its all in terms a noob cant understand. I am using knoppix to try and get to know linux but it’s a daunting prospect, and there doesn’t seem to be any real noob how to pages or tutorials. :?:

But to sum it up same problem.