PDA

View Full Version : d-link card not recognized

hunterpritchett
04-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I am new to linux, and while I would like to think that I now coputers well, I obviously do not compared to everyone on this site.
When I try to use my d-link dwl-650 pcmcia wifi card in knoppix the computer doesn't recognize it (wifi manager program shows a little wireless card with a ? mark).
This seemed like it might be the problem, but I don't know, and even if I did I wouldn't know how to fix it.
When knoppix is loading I see some text that says:
pcmcia device detected starting cardmanager (this isn't exactly right)
[cardmanager]: starting version 3.2.5
[cardmanager]: unsupported card in socket 0
[cardmanager]: product info: "D-link", "DWL-650 wireless PC card RevP", "ISL37101P-10", "A3"
[cardmanager]: manfid: 0x000b, 0x7110 funtion: 6 (network)

Also in an unrelated (hopefully) issue, it then goes on to say that it found a firewire port, but I am pretty damn sure I don't have one, even though I wish I did. but then after that it says twice: "FATAL: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernal/drivers/input/evdev.ko: not directory"

Knoppix does eventually access a network device, but I'm assuming that it is accesing my ethernet port.
It says "network device eth0 detected DHCP broadcasting for IP." Disappointingly I don't have access to a hardwire ethernet connection.

I have done a bit of researching into problesm with d-link wireless pcmcia devices, and everyone I see that has a problem with them has problems with the "+" series, which mine is not. on the http://acx100.sourceforge.net/ website they explain that linux usually works with the non "+" series, but that the new 650 (with a grey antenna apparently) has a ti chipset and therefore encounters the same problems as the "+" series. I don't know if I have the new one or not. It's definitly grey (but so are 90% of computer products) but I don't see any antenna, at least not anything that looks like your average antenna. But then again, I've never seen a wireless laptop card with an antenna, so maybe i'm missing something.
Anyway, even if I find out that it is the new version of the card, can I download the same driver for my dwl-650 as a dwl-650+? my guess is not. Possibly this isn't even the problem, but if someone knows anything about this problem, has had a similar problem, or knows how to fix the problem, please let me know.

I am running a toshiba satellite A15-S129.
Your help would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to be thoroughly impressed with whatever you come up with.