PDA

View Full Version : Good XOSL howto

beausimon
04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi,
I would like to setup my system to boot Windows, Knoppix and fedora. While searching this forum, I came across mention that XOSL is a great boot loader. Can someone point me to a good "howto" for XOSL?

My system has 40 GB HDD and CD-ROM drive but no floppy drive. Didn't get a floppy drive because most OS and software seem to come in CDs or DVDs these days.

Thanks.

rcook
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
There is a thread there which has a short dissertation on XOSL.
It is titled: GRUB help 4 Windows, Knoppix, Mandriva & Ubuntu
Seems to the point. I started to download XOSL after reading it.
Dick

Harry Kuhman
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I use XOSL and am a big advocate of it. But you may have a lot of trouble installing it without a floppy drive. The installer really wants a floppy, I would suggest hooking up a temporary floppy for the install. If you have a system where that can't be done (such as a notebook) then a USB floppy might work, but be aware that unless your BIOS lets you see the USB floppy as a regular floppy drive (some do) or you have a version of DOS that gives you USB support, the USB floppy approach may not work. If you do manage to install without a floppy pleae post back what you did.

Also be aware that XOSL hasn't been updated in quite a while and I am hearing that it does not support SATA drives (I don't have SATA and can't test or confirm that).

beausimon
04-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the pointers guys. I checked my bios and it doesn't have any option to boot up from usb device. I'll have to go cannibalise one.