PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with persistent home

beausimon
04-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi,
Using the knoppix live CD, is persistent home only useful for storing your files and documents? What else can we do with persistent home? Can we make use of persistent home to add drivers or add applications that are not found on the live CD?

Thanks.

dvryknopper
04-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that you could use it for installing applications and drivers that way ,although; I'm not sure if that would cause a stability issue or not, I doubt it though. See if this post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23195) helps you out any, it refers to a question about installing to the ramdisk, but the principle should be the same :)

beausimon
04-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks dvryknopper. I'll go check out the post.

WaKa
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Also persistant will save your cli schemas and past entries so u can arrow up. In addition , all your bookmarks and history are saved on your browser and most important the latest main desktop image is saved. My alsamixer switch configure was saved too! And HDD read/write mode is on!

double addendum
Check out the klik forum to add stuff
(What's klik? is a good start)

beausimon
04-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Waka,
Thanks. I did a google on klik after reading your suggestion. Once I can get my knoppix to work with my Prolink Hurricane 8000 ADSL modem, I would be able to try out klik.

maxIT
04-22-2006, 06:08 PM
In your home directory you have a plenty of configs files that you can see with the 'ls -a' command. You can change the behavior of shell (editing .bashrc) and many other things editing these files. I dubt is a good idea to install apps in /home, the standard afaik is /usr/local. Anyway many people puts binaries in a path like /home/me/bin.

beausimon
04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi,
I downloaded the amedyn-2004-08-04-src.tar file for my Prolink Hurricane and untar it in my persistent home. Installed it. It copied at least one file, amedyn, to /etc. I was wondering whether that file would be there after reboot because I was running liveCD. The file /etc/amedyn is persistent across reboot so it looks like /etc is also persistent.