PDA

View Full Version : Squashfs how to?

noob001
04-29-2006, 05:13 PM
I was wondering what I need to edit to replace cloop with squashfs? I've built a kernel with squashfs support but what next?

tr
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
I was wondering what I need to edit to replace cloop with squashfs? I've built a kernel with squashfs support but what next?

Firmsy told here in another tread that he's going to do a howto of replacing cloop to squashfs. Just wait until he has time to do that :)

But something to ponder. If you want to use squashfs to make bigger KNOPPIX image than 2 gig, I have news for you. Believe it or not but cloop device don't have that 2 gig limit if you change some things in minirt.gz's linuxrc file.

If you change test -f to test -r in linuxrc, that's it! At this time I have 2066 MB /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image and it boots fine. Hope that someone could tell me, why is this. But anyhow, it works!

-tapsa-

nvgringo
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Tr
Wow. Can you explain that in a little more detail?

nvgringo
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
tapsa
I'm still working on a 3.7 remaster Do you think it will still work? I found several instances of test -f. Mostly related to scsi. Or is it time to start over on the remaster with a new version of KNOPPIX.

tr
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm still working on a 3.7 remaster Do you think it will still work?
Why not? Knoppix 3.7 didn't use unionfs by default. With Debian it is not so important what version you have if you do apt-get dist-upgrade. My version has been Debian unstable and only minor troubles has been along the way. Changing from my X.org 6.9 to X.org 7.0 was solved by Kanotix's scripts - thanks to Kano for his excellent work.

But if you are not in a hurry, wait until Knoppix 5.0.1 is released and use it as a base in your remasterings. It makes your life little easier ;) In there is also that 'test 'r' used instead of 'test -f'.

I noticed that 2 gig limit can be exceeded in my own remastering because my KNOPPIX image was little over 2048 MB and I forget to check that - and couldn't boot with my old minirt.gz using my old linuxrc. It didn't boot because 2 gig limit was exceeded. But I had also some testing minirt.gz files - one was using linuxrc from Knoppix 5.0 and it booted! Then I compared those two linuxrc files with 3diff3 and noticed that difference in using test program. Changing -f to -r solved my 2 gig limit problem! Now my KNOPPIX image is about 2.2 gig and I can install new programs without thinking that 2 gig limit!

Here's an example using 'test 'r':

if test -r /cdrom/$KNOPPIX_DIR/$KNOPPIX_NAME; then
echo -n "${CRE} ${GREEN}Accessing KNOPPIX ${MEDIUM} at ${MAGENTA}$i${GREEN}...${NORMAL}"
FOUND_KNOPPIX="$i"

-tapsa-