PDA

View Full Version : stops when searching for usb....

rahrah
04-29-2006, 05:54 PM
when i boot knoppix from my cd and hit enter on the first thing that comes up, here's what happens:
the screen goes black and the little penguin shows up in the upper left
it welcomes me

then it says something about "searching for usb..."
and nothing else comes up
did it just stop there or is it just running slowly? i dont understand plz help
thnx

rahrah
04-29-2006, 06:46 PM
come on please help me with this

Harry Kuhman
04-29-2006, 06:55 PM
come on please help me with this
Wow, you waited 52 minutes before posings "come on..."! Not only is that ignorant to the people who might respond to you but were not reading the forum at the exact time that you posted, but it actually lowers your chance of getting a response.

When you are at the Knoppix Forum Index, there are four "links" near the top right hand side of the page. These are Mark All Forums Read, View Posts Since Last Visit, View Your Posts and View Unanswered Posts. This last one allows people to scan all of the forums, find questions that have been posted but no one has reponded to yet, and see if we might be able to help. I know that several of us do use this feature occasionally to try to make sure that people are getting fedback.

When you respond to your own post as you have done, the "replies count" is no longer zero and this feature does not find such posts. You actually reduce your chance of getting useful feedback by your effort to call extra attention to yourself.

rahrah
04-29-2006, 09:00 PM
sorry i wasnt aware of that feature; wont happen again

Lugh
05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I am experiencing a similiar problem. I have had 4.0.2 DVD installed on this system before without this issue. I have had to replace the HD when Knoppix was installed and now I am getting this error.

rahrah
05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
when the first knoppix menu comes up you have to use one of the knoppix "cheatcodes"
simply type in
knoppix nousb
and it will skip the usb check

ckamin
05-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Lugh:

The key word here is "INSTALLED". Knoppix is not meant to be installed onto a hard drive in it's current version. Things stop working, as you have encountered. Try installing Debian or another distro that is intended for hard drive installation. It will give you much less greif in the long run. That may change in the next version or future updates to Knoppix, but 4.0.2 and prior have issues with HDD install. Search the "HDD Install/Debian/Apt" section of the forum. I'm sure you will find some good information there.