PDA

View Full Version : Potential glitch in saving configuration to floppy

Loper
12-31-2002, 08:59 PM
The following is not a really a complaint. It's more an observation, based on the default boot (KDE, etc.)

I ran into a slight snag when saving my KNOPPIX configuration to floppy the other day. When I next booted and used "knoppix floppyconfig" to re-load the saved configuration, my FAT32 Windows hard drives acted strangely. Though they showed as mounted (as denoted by the green arrows along side the icons), I couldn't make them writeable. Unmounting them gave an error that they were not mounted, but then remounting the drives made it possible for them to be made writeable.

Through experimentation, I discovered that my hard drives should NOT be mounted when I save my KNOPPIX configuration to floppy, or the wierdness described above happens. Have others observed this behavior? Is it documented?

babs
06-03-2003, 04:21 AM
I downloaded latest of Knoppix. I was curious as I know nothing of Linux or any of its off-shoots but thought this is a way to get my feet wet, so to speak. My problem is, my configuration is not getting saved to floppy. It says that it is successfully saved, and when I boot knoppix and put in the command to load the floppy (knoppix floppyconfig) it shows that it is loading it, but when loaded I am starting from scratch again. Nothing appears saved. Any ideas?
By the way, I am using Windows xp, and from what I have read, because it is NTFS and not FAT32 , I can't save to disk.

babs
06-04-2003, 02:52 AM
:oops: Found my problem I had misread the check boxes in "save configuration", I thought I was checking them all...when really I was UNchecking them all. Anyway, worked after that. Saved configuration on floppy, then on boot I entered....knoppix floppyconfig failsafe.....and Voila`, it loaded with my preferences.