PDA

View Full Version : Burn Knoppix iso to CD?

llee611838
05-06-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not an advanced user. I am trying to retrieve data from an older computer-- it was rebuilt by a friend, and I'm afraid I don't know exactly what is in it. It has a cd-rom drive, and an external DVD-rom and external hard drive onto which I hope to copy the data I need to save. Windows is no longer running on the system. I want to boot into knoppix, and I have downloaded knoppix v 4.0.2. The problem I have is that I'm able to burn the iso image to a dvd but not to a cd-r and the old computer does not ahve an internal DVD, and without running knoppix, it doesn't have usb drivers or recognize the external devices.

Is there a way to create a bootable cd version of Knoppix? Thank you for your help. Any suggestions on how to get this to work with the old system will be a help.

Harry Kuhman
05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
.... and I have downloaded knoppix v 4.0.2. The problem I have is that I'm able to burn the iso image to a dvd but not to a cd-r.....
There are different versions of the Knoppix ISO for CDR and DVD. The DVD version is 3.11 gig in size, so it should be obvious why it does not fit on a CD. The name of the English version is KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-EN. Note the letters DVD in the name. There is also a CD version of the ISO, the name of the version that boots into English is KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN. Note the CD in the name, the file size here is a bit under 695 megs and it will fit on a 700 meg CDR or CDRW just fine (but not on a 650 meg media). Exactly what file you are trying to use was not clear from your post, if the above doesn't answer your questions it was because you didn't give us enough to go on.

llee611838
05-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Thank you, this should be exactly what I need. I appreciate the help.

Harry Kuhman
05-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Thank you, this should be exactly what I need. I appreciate the help.
You're welcome. I'm still not clear on if you were using the DVD version or if you were trying to burn to 650 meg media, but at least you have the details now. While the DVD version does have a more extensive assortment of software, I always make sure to have a copy of the CD version as well, and it is the one that I carry in my travel disc folder. Cases like yours where the desired system doesn't support a DVD are still very common.

Harry Kuhman
05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
By the way, this information and a lot of other important stuff was already covered in the Downloading Faq. The CD and DVD versions are covered in the very first question. So I'm guessing that you have not read this faq yet. I would strongly suggest that you follow the Documentation link near the top of this page and read the Downloading Faq, as there are several other common errors that people make in downloading and burning Knoppix ISOs. This may save you some time and wasted media, and you'll very likely learn something.

Triangle
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi,

ISO-burner tool might help you to burn ISO. It is a small, very easy to use but reliable and free soft that never failed me before
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

benny_mott
11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
here are some old but use ful tips for recovering XP NTFS files :
* Knoppix http://www.knoppix.de this is the most advance Linux distridution ever , it is just a cd which loads from the cd rom/dvd rom drive and loads straight into linux gui desk top,put cd in the cd rom drive because you can play dvd on DVD player and copy things to cd-r cd( rewiter) from your HDD even if it is fat 32 or NTFS with password on it it will see all the files .it does not write to your HDD so you do not have to worry; it writes to ram (you need at least 128 MB) and all from cd .Go to the web site or a Mirror site and down load the ISO and the put it on to a CD_R using NERO or EASY CD CREATOR you can also buy it from on of the sites for a fiver or so ; seeing is believing ,you will be telling yourself what the army of programers at Microsoft been doing all these years when your windows XP does not boot into windows , when these people can produce all this for free,do not worry if you like it so much there is a way to put it on to your hard disk. version 3.3 is the one I have tried and is good it has drivers for most Graphics card and sound cards .and as soon as it was loaded it connected to braod band itself using its own browser without any configuration!!! the best thing about Knoppix is that you can use it as a recovery tool when your windows xp does not boot into windows and the chkdsk /r does not work and keep asking for password ,
* just boot with knoppix
* double click the HDD (hda)icon or partion where nfts xp is installed to mount it!!
* you see a little geen triangle flashing .
* and use KB3 cd rewriter soft ware to copy the customers mydocument etc to a CD_R this saves you dismatelling the HDD and connecting it to another pc with XP on it etc .
* note there is new version of knoppix out 3.4 which has wifi drivers and also loads of drivers for external HDD and external rewriters usb devices .this could be very useful if you got toboot knoppix cd from the main cd rom/dvd/re-writer drive because you need another drive to copy the data on to.I am on about using knoppix as a recovery tool .
* Recovering data from laptops other wise is only possible if you remove the hdd(or use a Disgo usb see below)from the laptop and using a convertor cable 2.5"->3.5" IDE which you can buy for a fiver from http://www.tr-computers.co.uk and connect it to a normal pc .
* I connected a BackPack rewiter a parallel port one which was supposed to be picked up by any Linux but Knoppix 3.3 did not recognize it. http://www.micro-solutions.com
* if you got a laptop and only one combi DVD/Rewriter drive you boot knoppix cd from there and it gets locked so you cannot use it when you get to desk top because knoppix only runs from cd-drive not HDD so you need to use Disgo drive which is like a key ring which you stick into USB drive comes in 128 mb ,256,512mb, when you are in desk top if you insert Disgo into the USB 1.1 it picks it up as SDA1 on dek top you need to right click on icon and from the contex menu choose mount ,and the right click on icon and choose chenge read write mode after that you can copy and paste into it.To beon safe side I put the Disgo into the usb first then put Kinoppix in cd-rom drive then turn Laptop on.

1. Put USB device Disgo into 1.1 USB port.
2. Put knoppix cd in cdrom/dvd rom Drive.
3. turn computer on.
4. once you are on desk top Disgo shows as sda1.
5. either double click on it to mount it or right click on it and choose mount.
6. you get a flashing triangle in the corner of icon indicating it is mounted.
7. again right click on the icon and choose change read write Mode.
8. after this you can copy and past into it .

Knoppix installation to HDD

start by booting from Knoppix cd then open up a shell and type sudo su to assume root privileges.

In the shell ,and retainining your root privileges ,now lunch the installer script (wizard),

type knoppix-installer to launch the GUI setup program , it has few options ,

allowing you to copy the original Knoppix from cd and install it on your hard disk.

it makes sense to partition your hard disk. Item 3 of the setup program lunches the qtparted

the partitioning tool .

you need two partitions one at least 2.5 GB and you need 750 MB for swap partition.

epecify ext3 and primary partition for the first partition the second partition is also primary partition

of "linux-swap" type

now choose item 1 configure instalation

The wizard which provides contex sensitive help wants to know what system type you need .

the answer is Knoppix your target partition is hda1

then choose start installation item 2 on the menu

regards Ben
:wink:

benny_mott
11-21-2006, 08:10 PM
may be Knoppix should be distributed as an executable
that is when down loaded and double click on it in windows XP say it writes ISO to CD-R
here is a software :
Question:

have an .iso file and I want to distribute it to users in the form of a self-extracting

executable, so that when the users run the executable, it brings up a friendly interface that

prompts them to insert a writeable CD, and burns the contents of the .iso to the CD.
Answer:
the solution from brilliant 911CD Member SkewITECH
HE said Quote :"I did a little research and the answer hit me like a brick... IMGBurn accepts tons of command

line arguments, use that with 7zip and one of the 7zip SFX headers for installers and you could

make one yourself very easily. I'll post instructions

Unzip the contents of bellow and then drag and drop an ISO file onto the ISO2EXE script... it

does the rest." from SKEWITEK
http://www.boxpost.orangehome.co.uk/iso2exe.zip

.................................................. ....................
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18845

.................................................. ........................

regards Ben

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2006, 08:41 PM
may be Knoppix should be distributed as an executable
that is when down loaded and double click on it in windows XP say it writes ISO to CD-R
Boy, I don't know where to even start on this one. You're suggesting that in order to make a free copy of Knoppix, one would have to own Windows! It couldn't be made on a standard Linux system (at least without "Wine" or some other dubious hack). On top of the obvious problem with this, it hardly seems unreasonable to expect people who want a Knoppix disc to read for a minute or two and learn how to burn the disc properly. Heck, you could even include instructions in the download (although there are the people who would still ignore them and crank out coasters, as they do with the md5 checksums now). The Knoppix download is just fine as is, particularly the BitTorrent version, I see no reason to make it a pain for Linux or users who know what they are doing to make it easy for those who refuse to learn.

And don't forget the bad precidence of suggesting to people that they should just blindly download exe files and run then before they have a chance to see what it is that they have downloaded. With the current system I download an ISO, safely burn it to CD-RW or DVD+RW, I can examine it without running anything downloaded to confirm that what I have is really a Linux system, and then I transfer that disc to my testbed system for booting before I ever boot it on my desktop. If Knoppix (or any other fancy CD) came as an EXE that I had to run, I can assure you that I would never bother with it.