PDA

View Full Version : broken kpackage: workaround

agroz
05-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Hi everyone: Thought I'd post this up top to make sure everyone sees it. This is regards the kpackage "exec failed: File not found" problem.

Ok g&g, I found a workaround (be patient for a moment, this was written straight from my notes)

I noted a couple things while playing around with this:

From "Special" menu: Calling apt-get update works OK, but not apt upgrade.

Calling kpackage from console like this:

kpackage apache-doc

gives kpackage window and an error window which says:

File not found: /dev/apache-doc

(that /dev/ looks really odd. Could this be a mangled terminal authentication call?) Hmm.

I then called kpackage by itself from a console and tried to install a random .deb in the usual manner (select it and hit "Install"). When the "exec failed:" message came up, the console printed:

Reason: Function not implemented
konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp1::/dev/ttyp1.
: This means the session can be eavesdroped.
: Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in
: /usr/bin/ and setuid root. (which it is)

Hmm.

Looks like the problem is related to the embedded terminal that kpackage calls when it runs apt, for some reason it can't authenticate with the system for opening the embedded terminal.

Here's the workaround: (NOTE: AFAICT you must be running a configured sshd server. I may be wrong tho.)

Open up kpackage: In Settings>>Configure Kpackage>>Types, put a checkmark in the box "Use remote host (Debian APT only)"; then in the box below that put "localhost"; hit OK and it will come up and say that it cannot verify the authenticity of localhost, continue? say "Yes" and hit OK and wait for it to rebuild the package list.

Then everything works (for me at least, how about everyone else?)

Ta-da! :D

Looks like kpackage is broken. :roll:

Andy