PDA

View Full Version : Help with cfdisk

douglas2
05-11-2003, 01:07 AM
I too am new to Knoppix and I need to install to a second hard drive. My XP has crashed and is not bootable but knoppix off the cd can see my files that I need to recover.I need to free up the cd drive to recover these files as windows needs to reformat the drive to reinstall. I have tried the hd install procedure posted elsewhere and am having problems with cfdisk. I have created a partition the full size of my drive as Linux and then have tried to create a swap partition but can't change the MB size? I need step by step instructions on creating these two partitions and then I hope the rest of the process will be self explanatory? Thanksjavascript:emoticon(%27%3A?')

Stephen
05-11-2003, 03:15 AM
I too am new to Knoppix and I need to install to a second hard drive. My XP has crashed and is not bootable but knoppix off the cd can see my files that I need to recover.I need to free up the cd drive to recover these files as windows needs to reformat the drive to reinstall. I have tried the hd install procedure posted elsewhere and am having problems with cfdisk. I have created a partition the full size of my drive as Linux and then have tried to create a swap partition but can't change the MB size? I need step by step instructions on creating these two partitions and then I hope the rest of the process will be self explanatory? Thanksjavascript:emoticon(%27%3A?')

If you have the latest version (2003-05-03) you can use qtparted to resize the partition and create space for the swap. Otherwise you will need to run cfdisk one more time and delete the one large partition and create a small (256mb) partition for swap and another partition to hold your files for install.

When you create the partitions do the swap first and enter the size and set the type to swap then create the second to use the rest of the drive as type linux then select it and enter on the bootable option.