PDA

View Full Version : live CD does but HDD install does not auto mount thumb drive

slush
05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Whats up with this...

When I boot my system off the Knoppix live CD and then plug a thumb drive into the USB port the thumb drive is auto-populated on the desktop and everything works great.

However, after installing Knoppix ti the HDD (debian install) absolutly nothing happens when a thumb drive is attached. Nothing is even found in system:/media or /dev.

Could someone please explain to me why this works when running from the live CD and not with a HDD install and how to get knoppix to continue to auto-populate the thumb drive on the desktop after an HDD install?

Thanks.

maxIT
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Could someone please explain to me why this works when running from the live CD and not with a HDD install...

Because knoppix is optimised to run as live-cd, and not as installed distro.

...how to get knoppix to continue to auto-populate the thumb drive on the desktop after an HDD install?
Thanks.

I'm still waiting the answer too... :P

DigidocTN
05-16-2006, 01:46 AM
My own experience has been the USB drive was recognized and added to my desktop just fine. This works when booted from CD as well as when installed to HDD. My own problem is I could formerly read/write to the USB drive (sda1) but now it mounts as read only, and will not allow me to write anything. Phooey, does anyone have a clue?