PDA

View Full Version : How do I renew my DHCP address?

skrall
05-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Does Knoppix have an equivilent to Windows "ipconfig /renew"? I have been having problems with wireless nic cards. Configuring a static IP, mask, DNS address and drfault gateway manually is a real pain. I tried downing the interface and then bringing it up again but that did not seem to work.

Thanks,
SKrall

rusty
05-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Hmm, how are you taking the interface down, I'm wondering if you've tried ifconfig ethx down/up or ifup/down. Any additional info regarding the network card, wireless router and version of knoppix might help as well.

skrall
05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Here is the situation. I have Knoppix 4.0 and a DLink G650 wireless adapter. My home network is a cisco 800 router and a DLINK DWL-2200AP access point using a an ESS with WEP. In my neighborhood there is free wifi. When I start KWIFI, I get connected to the free wifi network. I am assigned an IP address in the 172 address space. I can surf just fine. When I use KWIFI manager or iwconfig to change the ESS to my ESS and add the key, I find that I still have the same 172 address. My network is a 10 network. How do I get this wireless card to submit a new DHCP request after is changes to a different ESS?

My wireless card displays as eth0.
I use.... ifconfig eth0 down to shut down the interface.
When I use the "up" command I still have the 172 address.

Thanks,
SKrall

rusty
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Try using iwconfig instead of Kwifimanager: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/iwconfig.8.html

For some reason, Ive never had much luck with GUI wireless configurators.

Regards..

skrall
05-13-2006, 05:15 AM
pump -i eth0 ...... is the Knoppix equivilent to Microsoft "ipconfig /renew"