PDA

View Full Version : cant boot

mbgb14
05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Okay, IDK what the malfunction is!
My friend at a LUG meeting gave me the recent Knoppix DVD (can't rmbr the version right now, just know its the latest stable (not 5)).
Anyways, in one of my CD drives, it doesn't work at all, it just boots right on by without a prompt at all and reads the hard drive. In the other drive, it gets the install screen. If I just hit enter, it loads up, but my monitor goes out of range .. ugh! So I tried "knoppix vsync=60 hsync=60" -- now, a couple lines through the boot its giving me a message that it failed to insert cloop or something rather (I don't have it in front of me right now sorry!). Same if I try "knoppix vga=0"

Can anyone help?

Harry Kuhman
05-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Anyways, in one of my CD drives, it doesn't work at all,....

I hope that you intended to say "Anyways, in one of my DVD drives, it doesn't work at all,...".

The "failed to insert cloop or something rather" message sounds to me like a bad burn (we frequently see this type of thing when the disc has been burnt at a high speed). I'm not certain of that because I would not have expected the system to get far enough to get into the scrambled video mode if it had the failed to insert cloop or something rather error, but such errors can be pretty flakey, you might get it some times and get other errors on other boot attempts. My suggestion would be to use the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and download a new ISO with a BitTorrent client, read the downloading faq all the way through, and burn a new copy at a slow speed. You might want to start with the CD ISO rather than the DVD ISO, that way your have a more universally useful Knoppix CD and if it turns out that your DVD is OK you'll have both (you can always get the DVD later if you do need a better burnt copy). You very likely may still need the cheat code to get your monitor to work right, but you should not see the failed to insert cloop or something rather error on a good burn.

mbgb14
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks, this is also what I suspected. Is there any way to verify the DVD to see if the burn is good?

Also, whenever I launch QTParted, the machine completely hangs. From the live or the HDD. It makes it impossible to partition the drive.
Sounds like bad-burnism to me!

Harry Kuhman
05-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks, this is also what I suspected. Is there any way to verify the DVD to see if the burn is good?
The testcd cheat code (maybe it's been changed to testdvd but I don't know that for sure) might help, but the real problem is likely that this is not a hard failure that would be easy to detect, just a marginal one. By the way, testcd can let the screen saver time out even on a CD, so on a bad DVD this is extremely likely, if the screen goes blank use the shift key to get it back.

Also, whenever I launch QTParted, the machine completely hangs. From the live or the HDD. It makes it impossible to partition the drive.
Sounds like bad-burnism to me!
You lost me here, how are you running QTParted if you can't boot? And I only care about from the live disc, if you have "installed" Knoppix to HDD then you are on your own. From what I have seen of others posting about it here QTParted is not the friendliest or safest of the partition tools though and I have not used it.