PDA

View Full Version : network card config

mbgb14
05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi
Just loaded up the latest Knoppix DVD on my basement machine. It seems to be working okay.
Except, I have to manually goto "Network Card Configuration" every time I boot up and tell it to fetch the data via DHCP.
How can I make it do this automatically on boot?!

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
If by "the latest version" you mean the latest official version released to the Internet, 4.0.2, It does do that automatically. If it's not doing it for you then you should try to determine why not. I don't know of any other cases where it does not work but you can still do a simple netcardconfig after boot and it will work then. You didn't give us any information about your network, and it would likely take pretty extrnsive specs and details for anyone to spot what the issue might be.

If you mean the unofficial 5.0 releases not posted by Klaus, then I don't know. I would certainly expect them to work this way too but can't be sure since I'm waiting for an official release. Maybe problems like this are what is delaying the 5.0 release.

mbgb14
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
By the latest official I mean the latest official stable DVD. The one that everyone can get to. Not 5.x series.

The internet just doesn't work until I actually goto it and click yes to the "Is it DHCP?" prompt. Then its fine.

Why is that???

Harry Kuhman
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
See my above post, it is not that way for me. It might help if we had detailed network information; I want to know that more than I want to know that this computer is in the basement if I'm going to try to figure it out. But you may have to fool with it yourself a bit before you learn what it is.

Suggestions:

If you have the needed hardware, sniff the wire with a packet sniffer like ethereal to see what is going on.

If you are using a router, can you swap in a different router?

Make sure that any previous DHCP lease has been given up before booting. Reset the router is need be.

mbgb14
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I have about 10 computers. 4 are hooked wirefully to a DI-524, the others are wireless. This particular computer is 192.168.0.102, the router is 192.168.0.1

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Okay, just redownloaded the ISO (this time a CD instead of DVD) via BitTorrent - its version 4.0.2 -
I just installed it on another totally seperate machine. Same thing. the internet completely doesn't work unless I goto network config - then it does a quick dhcp request and boom - its up.

how can i make it do this automagically?!?!

Harry Kuhman
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay, just redownloaded the ISO (this time a CD instead of DVD) via BitTorrent - its version 4.0.2 -
I just installed it on another totally seperate machine. Same thing. the internet completely doesn't work unless I goto network config - then it does a quick dhcp request and boom - its up.

how can i make it do this automagically?!?!
It's a LIve CD. You installed it. The network not working is a very common problem. See answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 05:55 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

I don't see anything about the network card not working :-/

It *does* work, just not until I goto config - I just click yes to the dhcp button and then it works.