PDA

View Full Version : extremely slow download

mbgb14
05-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi, I have a very fast connection. Yesterday when I was downloading the knoppix cd (in kget on my pclinuxos box), it was going steady at about 200KBps... now, after pausing the download and resuming it, it won't go over 8KBps. This is *extremely* frustrating.

I tried it on my Windows box as well in my download manager and now its going painfully slow too.
Other downloads still go fast, but not this one!

Can someone help plz?

URL downloading from is :: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2006, 08:43 PM
The mirrors can be pretty flaky. Worse, mirror downloads are often corrupt (about 50% of the downloads that I did from mirrors were bad before the ISO started becoming available on BitTorrent, failing the md5 test). Rather than potentially waste a lot of time on a mirror download that might end up bad, I suggest using a BitTorrent client, if you have a router and firewall setting them up properly (see the downloading faq) and using BitTorrent to get a good copy. See the Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker link in the Get Knoppix section, link available near the top of this page. BitTorrent will get you a good copy, BitTorrent downloads can be restarted without problems, and I have found that when properly configured the BitTorrent downloads are much much faster than the downloads from the mirrors.

mbgb14
05-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Hehe. Saw this coming. I'll try that. Thanks alot mate.

Cheers.

ruymbeke
05-12-2006, 07:50 AM
...Rather than potentially waste a lot of time on a mirror download that might end up bad, I suggest using a BitTorrent client...
If you have a (ftp , http, ...) download failing the md5 test,
you can always "update and fix" the wrong or incomplete data
by using Bittorrent. By design Bittorent will check the integrity
of the slices composing the existing data, will only share valid slices
and will only redownload the missing slice. If bittorrent displays
dowload complete, the md5 should match.
This is faster than restarting from scratch...
My 2 cents,
Gilles

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for that. Learned something new.
How does one do this I'm curious :-/

PS: I already got the whole thing via BT and burned it now ne ways

ruymbeke
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
...How does one do this I'm curious...
Start a new BT transfert and stop BT.
Replace the empty or small files by the corrupted data.
Restart BT, and you will see BT running a sanity check of the data
before staring the data transfert.
Gilles

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Dude I'll have to try that. Awesome. Thanks :)