PDA

View Full Version : installing synaptic

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi, I had a Knoppix DVD but it was burned bad - someone else gave it to me so I don't have the ISO.
So I got the CD version instead. I noticed, however, it don't got Synaptic! Waa! How do I install it? I tried "sudo apt-get install synaptic" -- whats the magic word?

Harry Kuhman
05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't know if it's available by Klik or not, but you might want to visit the Klik forum and see what you cn learn.

apt-get has issues with Knoppix, since Knoppix is made of a mix of different versions of Debian and apt-get tends to break things (particularly if you were foolish enough to try to "install" KNoppix, but I can see that if the union file system works enough to let apt-get work it also would allow things to break when you try it).

Not that you know the source of the original problem, why not get the DVD version? BitTorrent is pretty fast, if you have a DVD burner you could get your own copy made before you are likely to get good answers here.

mbgb14
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
definety. I could. But, see, the machine I want to make a server out of doesn't have a DVD drive, plus, my ISP limits my bandwidth and this month (like all months) I'm over ;)

But yes, thanks for all your help guys. Great support :)