PDA

View Full Version : Boot Problem

Woolfenstien
05-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Right then, first post. Here goes...

I recently downloaded and burned Knoppix 4.02 onto a brand new DVD-R.
During the burning process in nero (8x), there were no buffer under-runs/other problems.

However, when I restart my computer (booting from my DVD drive first, then other devices), knoppix procedes to run normal, untill I hit enter at the screen with the speed dial image telling me to press enter to boot (sorry if my description is a bit rubbish).
It then takes me to a black screen, with Tux in the top left corner, and a message underneath saying on the second line:

Kernel BUG at drivers/scsi/libatacore.c:2077!.

I thought it must've been a problem with the burn and/or DVD ISO, so I downloaded and burned the CD ISO onto a relativley new CD-R. Exactly the same error.

I then talked to my Linux-literate friend who's used Knoppix and many others in the past about it.
The conversation went as follows:

[19:45] Woolfenstien: I tried the knoppix noscsi option.
[19:45] Woolfenstien: It didn't work.
[19:45] ehntoo: same error?
[19:45] Woolfenstien: Exactly the same, on both CD and DVD version.
[19:46] ehntoo: I'm guessing your harddisk controller isn't supported, then.
[19:46] ehntoo: what kind of a motherboard do you have?
[19:46] Woolfenstien: A Winfast/Foxconn NF4UK8AA
[19:47] Woolfenstien: My hard disk type is SATA, btw.
[19:47] ehntoo: aye.
[19:47] Woolfenstien: And there are no SCSI devices on this box.
[19:48] ehntoo: linux handles SATA as SCSI.
[19:48] Woolfenstien: I have two old ATA133/IDE drives spare somewhere.
[19:48] Woolfenstien: But for some reason, neither like being maters.
[19:49] Woolfenstien: masters*
[19:49] ehntoo: hrm.
[19:49] ehntoo: some motherboards have that problem.
[19:49] ehntoo: what version of Knoppix is this?
[19:49] Woolfenstien: 4.02 on both CD and DVD
[19:50] ehntoo: hrm
[19:51] ehntoo: I haven't had a problem with my Nforce4 and knoppix on this machine...
[19:51] ehntoo: odd.
[19:51] Woolfenstien: I think this has Nforce 4 ultra or something.
[19:51] Woolfenstien: Let me dig out my booklet.
[19:51] ehntoo: mine's an ultra, but that really doesn't matter
[19:51] ehntoo: that just effects how fast the north bridge can talk to the processor.
[19:52] Woolfenstien: I see.
[19:52] ehntoo: I honestly have no clue... :\
[19:52] Woolfenstien: :(
[19:52] ehntoo: sorry.
[19:53] Woolfenstien: Might it be something wrong/incorrectly set in the BIOS?
[19:54] ehntoo: possibly
[19:54] ehntoo: but I haven't the slightest what it might be.
[19:54] ehntoo: ask on the knoppix forums, I guess
[19:55] Woolfenstien: Yeah, I'm searching right now.
[19:55] ehntoo: I've gotta run, though
[19:55] Woolfenstien: okay
[19:55] ehntoo: later.
[19:55] ehntoo: good luck.
[19:55] Woolfenstien: thanks for your help anyway.
[19:55] Woolfenstien: bye

Most information you should need is in there somewhere. If there's any more you need, please, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Woolfenstien

Harry Kuhman
05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I always wonder about the md5 verification of the ISO when I see reports like this. I doubt that the problem is two bad ISOs in this case since you report exactly the same error in both cases, but it would be good to know that the md5 sum verified, or at least that you used BitTorrent to download and not the mirrors. See the downloading faq for more details.

I also always burn the KNoppix DVD at 4x. 8x is prett fast for a DVD. CDs should be burnt at 4x also but some new burners and some burning software (like Nero) may refuse to burn CDs slower than 8x. Again I doubt that this will turn out to be your problem, but particularly until one gets Knoppix working it's worth it to do a slow burn just to be safe and eliminate one potential source of problems.

I doubt that it is a SATA issue, since Knoppix doesn't need a hard disk at all. You might want to look at the cheat codes section of the wiki and try a few things. The dma cheat code seems a good first step, the noacpi would be my second try and scsi=off might even be worth a shot. Sometimes combinations of the codes help where one does not, I have a system that needed knoppix scsi=off noacpi for several releases to boot properly (that took a long time to find). Wouldn't hurt to try knoppix testcd if none of the above tell you anything (be aware that the screen saver might cut in, use shift to bring back the screen if needed) and even memtest just to be safe (no knoppix before memtest).

Woolfenstien
05-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I'll try testcd, dma, noacpi, scsi=off and a combo of some of the cheat codes quickly.
I'll definatley let memtest run overnight; I know it takes absolute AGES to complete.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

EDIT: I tried all combinations of dma, noacpi, scsi=off and noscsi, all to no avail.

I'm not sure if this bears any rellavence to the problem, but at the end of the error message, it says:

Kernel panic - Not syncing! Attempted to kill init[/code]

Woolfenstien
05-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I let memtest run for around 11 hours last night. it did around 49 and a half passes, with no errors.

I also couldn't run testcd or testdvd because I keep getting the same error as I had before.

Harry Kuhman
05-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I also couldn't run testcd or testdvd because I keep getting the same error as I had before.
This is a pretty strange error for Knoppix. By "I keep getting the same error as I had before" I assume that you mean Kernel BUG at drivers/scsi/libatacore.c:2077!, is this correct? Do you get Kernel BUG at drivers/scsi/libatacore.c:2077! even with the noscsi or scsi=off cheat codes?

I'm at a loss for the source of this error and doubt that I can be of much help, I hope others join in here.

You might want to try the failsafe cheat code. It's not a very good way to run Knoppix, but it might help you learn more about the source of the problem. And you might want to boot in expert miode, which will ask you configuration questions during the boot process - take notes and let us know the last question you were asked before the error and what your response was. And try rebooting and answering the last question differently.

Woolfenstien
05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
This is a pretty strange error for Knoppix. By "I keep getting the same error as I had before" I assume that you mean Kernel BUG at drivers/scsi/libatacore.c:2077!, is this correct? Do you get Kernel BUG at drivers/scsi/libatacore.c:2077! even with the noscsi or scsi=off cheat codes?

I'm at a loss for the source of this error and doubt that I can be of much help, I hope others join in here.

You might want to try the failsafe cheat code. It's not a very good way to run Knoppix, but it might help you learn more about the source of the problem. And you might want to boot in expert miode, which will ask you configuration questions during the boot process - take notes and let us know the last question you were asked before the error and what your response was. And try rebooting and answering the last question differently.Yeah, same error (the kernel BUG), with any combination of any of the scsi disabling cheat codes.

I'll try and get it to work from what you've said.

Would a full hardware list help you out?

EDIT: I tried out failsafe. I got into Knoppix okay, but only my keyboard was working. I have a Logitech Wireless USB setup, and my batteries weren't out of power.

Then I tried out expert mode.
On the first try, it asked me:

Load scsi modules?
I hit n, meaning I didn't want to load any.
It then asked me:

Do you want to load additional modules from a floppy disk?
and for some reason, my keyboard wasn't working. I replaced the batteries, restarted and repeated the process, only to get the same 'dead keyboard' thing.

So I tried again, but with 'usbcore.ko' in place of the 'n'. Same result.

maestrobwh1
06-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I get this same error. Oddly, it happened only after I moved my machine and did not change much other than perhaps where my USB devices were plugged in. I did a memtest and it found an error so I replaced my 2 512's with 1 1G NEW memory SDRAM stick (Kingston) and thought I must have had the problem licked. No memory problem but the kernel error keeps coming up. Windows 2000 runs fine, as well and DamnSmallLinux 2.3 and 3.0, which uses the 2.4 Kernel. Knoppix 4.02 won't run with ANY options after the boot. I actually tore apart my machine and put it back together just to see if something was loose. I suppose if I get desparate, I could use Knoppix 3.4 with the knoppix34 command... though I don't know if I still have the disk or iso.

My Knoppix 4.02 disk runs absolutely fine in my laptop. Both machines are AMD and have sufficient ram.

maestrobwh1
06-28-2006, 11:18 PM
but Knoppix 3.7 boots fine, 3.9 gives same error, I do not have a coy of 3.8.