PDA

View Full Version : DOS WIN32 customized Knoppix?

Darkehorse
12-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi,

Let me first say I am very new to Linux. If not for Knoppix, I would never have stumbled into the wonderful world of Linux (I am an old time Unix user though). I love Knoppix, and I would like to use it for recovery of Windows / DOS systems. However, it is missing some key elements that I'd like to have. These are:

DOSEmu
Samba Server to connect to an NT Domain.
An I386 emulator package such as BOCHS or VMWare.

With that being said, it has a lot of things I DON'T need for this purpose. In reality, I could get by without a lot of the bells & whistles (stuff like open office, gimp, games, movie players). All I really need is the internet capability, KDE Desktop, file management, mounting of the windows volumes, A file editor, CD ROM burning software and the options mentioned above.
I have looked at the FAQ for customizing your own Knoppix distro, and I have to admit it is WAY beyond my current ability. Other than just continiuing to play with Linux until I can do the customization, can anyone else recommend some alternatives for me?

Thanks,
Darke

roberto
01-03-2003, 06:13 AM
I am another person who REALLY needs dosemu and VMware. i am thinking about writing an instruction for beginners on how to re-master the knoppix CD from the knoppix CD.

please read the faq in the general support section called:

[poll] putting stuff on your M$ c: drive and some pitfalls...

to see if you like the writing style and let me know if you would like an faq about re-mastering.

thx!

Oh and please vote on it too! :D

Tigren
01-03-2003, 09:16 AM
i guess this is kinda sacreligious, but Cool Linux is another live cd that has VMWare included...

russ hancox
01-04-2003, 12:07 AM
This too is sacreligious but Cool Linux is better than knoppix for two reasons :

1) The ability to save config on a second session of original cd, you burn the original iso as first session, do some configuring, save a file then burn this as a config file on a second session (maybe you should include this knoppix, it's a brilliant idea)

2) VMWARE!!!!! (i dunno how they included this without breakin the law, vmware isn't free, but non-the-less who pays for software nowadays!)

HEY KLAUS, as soon as knoppix has both of the above, i'll come back to knoppix!!

Tigren
01-04-2003, 02:23 AM
Well, im not sure if vmware is gpl'ed, but knopper is sticking with totally gpl'ed software, nothing else. vmware has a trial version, so i think thats what they have.

Rixel
01-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Please see the following for the authoritative statement on the restrictions for packages in order to be included with a Knoppix distro (question 3):

http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt

Thank you, Klaus

A. Jorge Garcia
01-05-2003, 04:04 AM
Is DOSEMU to DOS apps as WINE is to Windoze apps? OK, this would be interesting as I was trying to use WINE to run QBASIC which is a DOS app....

Also, it would be interesting if Klaus left enough room for knoppix.sh on the CD for a 2nd burn!

In fact, maybe he could make a version with say 100MB free so it would be easier to remaster without removing anything?

A. Jorge Garcia
01-05-2003, 04:25 AM
BTW, anyone have success burning to a CD-RW? I can burn KNOPPIX CD-Rs fine, but not CD-RWs! I have a CD-RW drive and use Easy CD Creator 4.

TIA,

javakid
01-17-2003, 09:18 AM
So I heard about CoolLinux and I thought I'd try it. My first impression? There is nothing that "Cool" about it.

I would have been impressed, if I had never seen something like Knoppix.

The autodetection/autoconfiguration of Knoppix is far superior. Everything is automatic. CoolLinux requires too much input.

Like I said, CoolLinux would have been impressive to someone who has never seen Knoppix.

Yes, CoolLinux does come with VMware, but it still requires a license key!

As far as saving a configuration on a second burn -- I think that Knoppix has a better option: Knoppix Persistent Home
The Knoppix persistent home files go into the Knoppix CD in the knoppix directory -- a simple reburn, with no complicated remastering scripts. You just copy the contents of the CD to your HDD, add the two files, and burn a bootable CD using the floppy image (boot.img) in the Knoppix directory to make it bootable.

Of course you can also just put the files on a floppy disk and boot with the "floppyconfig" option.

This allows you to create a persistent home directory on the machine, in which you can save your custom settings. This also saves you the trouble of burning a whole new CD every time you decide to make a small configuration change.

Knoppix has far more software and configuration options, documentation, and lots of helpful people to assist you with customizing your own version of Knoppix. I just made my own knoppix mini-CD, based on knoppix-lite. I have mozilla (with the java and flash plugins), frozen-bubble, ace-of-penguins, rdesktop, xvncviewer, smbclient, ssh, gnome-terminal, gnome chess, chntpw, ethereal, etherape, and more all running on icewm with the knoppix background screen. All of the apps which I personally wanted to have on a CD that fits in my pocket! Try doing that with CoolLinux!

*and* Klaus is always there to help if nobody else knows the answer to your questions!

Thank you, Klaus

A. Jorge Garcia
01-17-2003, 11:50 PM
I never quite got all the hoopla about KNOPPIX Persistent Home. Do you mena to tell me that you customize what you like and then reburn the CD with this info in a part of the CD that has not been burned yet??

Regards,

AvidLinuxUser
01-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Is DOSEMU to DOS apps as WINE is to Windoze apps? OK, this would be interesting as I was trying to use WINE to run QBASIC which is a DOS app....

Also, it would be interesting if Klaus left enough room for knoppix.sh on the CD for a 2nd burn!

In fact, maybe he could make a version with say 100MB free so it would be easier to remaster without removing anything?

Modularity.org's Model-K is a mini version of Knoppix with only a 48Meg iso.

Apt is there is you can add any program Debian offers. Please let me know if you modify Model-K and the type of programs you add so I can include them in the next Step.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-18-2003, 02:36 AM
BTW, I've never used VMWare, what's so great about it?

Regards,

javakid
01-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Knoppix Persistant Home stores your home directory on the machine's hard drive, but everything else stays on the CD -- customize your preferences all you want and no need to remaster each time!

spazzman
08-01-2003, 12:22 AM
I have been doing quite a bit of research lately on Knoppix-STD. The forum is a great place to learn if you are not a Debian/Linux Guru. You can find it at http://www.knoppix-std.org/forum/. It is a very sane place ,where those of us that are first getting introduced to Linux, in the bootable format can ask pertinent questions and have knowledgeable people like" tick_tock" help us understand. BTW he is the project developer and a very hard working, knowledgeable dude. God help us if the third graders get a hold of this package to help them understand the Internet! Salutations to all on both forums and keep it going.

Spazzman

oscar
08-01-2003, 07:16 PM
BTW, I've never used VMWare, what's so great about it?

BTW, anyone have success burning to a CD-RW? I can burn KNOPPIX CD-Rs fine, but not CD-RWs! I have a CD-RW drive and use Easy CD Creator 4.

Regards,

VMWare is a virtual computer. The hard is almost fully emulated by software.
http://www.vmware.com/

No problems with CD-RWs.
Easy CD Creator is a headache for many people.
Try Nero or Alcohol 120%.
Or linux k3b