PDA

View Full Version : Installing standard debian kernel

brjhaverkamp
05-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Hello all,

I would like to know how I can install a standard debian kernel over
my knoppix installation. Precently I have vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs installed as
it comes with knoppix 3.2

However, I would like to install a kernel from the debian unstable distr. that is compiled for my AMD k7 processor. I installed the package with apt-get, and updated lilo.conf accordingly. At boot I now get the following error:

> cat: No file proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev.
> /linuxrc: cannot create proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev: directory
> nonexistant VFS: Cannot open root device "hda5" or 03:05
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

What am I doing wrong, and what should I do to get all packages (or just the kernel) in line with debian unstable?

Regards,

Bert Haverkamp

Fabianx
05-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Hello all,

I would like to know how I can install a standard debian kernel over
my knoppix installation. Precently I have vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs installed as
it comes with knoppix 3.2

However, I would like to install a kernel from the debian unstable distr. that is compiled for my AMD k7 processor. I installed the package with apt-get, and updated lilo.conf accordingly. At boot I now get the following error:

> cat: No file proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev.
> /linuxrc: cannot create proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev: directory
> nonexistant VFS: Cannot open root device "hda5" or 03:05
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

What am I doing wrong, and what should I do to get all packages (or just the kernel) in line with debian unstable?

Regards,

Bert Haverkamp

You could try to do:

apt-get install dash, then remake the initrd you are using ...

cu

Fabian

alexv
05-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi,
I have exactly the same situation here: installed knoppix on IBM ThinkPad T23 laptop, then upgraded to debian testing/unstable. Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel works but debian's 2.4.20-686 does not - says it can't mount root filesystem. I use reiserfs on both /boot and / partitions. Does anybody know exact differences between Knoppix kernel and Debian kernel, please?
Thanks

humberto
05-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel works but debian's 2.4.20-686 does not - says it can't mount root filesystem. I use reiserfs on both /boot and / partitions. Does anybody know exact differences between Knoppix kernel and Debian kernel, please?

The biggest difference is that the knoppix .config file (in /usr/src/linux) includes support for many modules (including reiserfs). I suggest copying that .config file and building a new kernel with your changes.

Also, knoppix uses an initrd image to hold many modules before the root system is even mounted.