PDA

View Full Version : Apt-Get error

DigidocTN
05-16-2006, 02:22 AM
I installed Knoppix to hard drive. Yep, I know not recommended, but I have no video with Debian). Reading about things, I came across the Apt-Get and see that among the first things I should do is an update. So, the command I use is: [sudo apt-get update] and off she goes. In a little bit, I start getting minor errors, and then a MAJOR one. I get: ERROR reading package lists, and get: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Suggestions and ideas will be welcomed. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
05-16-2006, 03:27 AM
I installed Knoppix .... Apt-Get ... update..... In a little bit, I start getting minor errors, and then a MAJOR one.......
Yup, completely expected and just one of the reasons we recommend against installing Knoppix. My question is why would you think that this is an easier problem to resolve than your likely simple video problem? (After all, if Knoppix is Debian and Knoppix gives you video then there is no good reason why you can't get video with Debian, but there are good reasons why apt-get breaks things.)

UnderScore
05-16-2006, 02:11 PM
for the dynamic mmap
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20754&highlight=mmap

for your problems, dont do a HD install
Try Suse Linux, or Ubuntu or Fedora Core. Suse 10.1 is brand new as of May 11. Fedora Core is under 2 months old. Ubuntu will be shipping their new version in about 3 weeks. Any one of those will be better than a Knoppix install.

DigidocTN
05-16-2006, 02:43 PM
>>My question is why would you think that this is an easier problem to resolve than your likely simple video problem? (After all, if Knoppix is Debian and Knoppix gives you video then there is no good reason why you can't get video with Debian
--
Well, I admit I am a beginner. I know how to install, and I do -not- know how to troubleshoot or repair a faulty video driver. The Knoppix works, and I can use it. I would seek advice on finding, downloading, and installing the correct video driver. I am struggling to learn how to use an editor from console mode. I guess those would be off topic for Knoppix, and should be posted in another forum. I guess I struggle to understand how Knoppix can identify and make the video work, yet the Debian cannot seem to do that. But thanks for educating me, I have lots to learn.

Harry Kuhman
05-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I admit I am a beginner. I know how to install, and I do -not- know how to troubleshoot or repair a faulty video driver.
But here you are, trying to trouble shoot in a major way. Knoppix is a mix of different and incompatable Debian versions that are known to break when you do an update. This is just one of the key reasons so many of us advise against installing it. And I very much doubt if your video problem (with 2 different video cards) requires you to repair or install a different video driver into Debian. Debian works quite well with a wide range of video cards and should support the GUI on almost any VGA/SVGA compatable card. I don't have details on exactly what you did when you installed, and in any case the Knoppix hdd install forum is not the place to discuss that (it would likely be tolerated in the General Forum here, the Debian user forums (installation section) (http://forums.debian.net/viewforum.php?f=17) would be even a better place to get good support.)