PDA

View Full Version : Native linux drivers for rtl8180 on knoppix 3.9 live CD

majhen
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Hello knoppix users!
First sorry for my bad english.

After using linux for about a year, i think I learned very much so i decided to share some of my knowlege with you. My first linux was knoppix live CD. Now I use gentoo, because is very nice and stable distribution and i can optimize it for my hardware which is old toshiba 2100CDS with k6-2 cpu on 400MHz, 160RAM 10GB HDD. Kde runs so fast, and it is booted in 45sec from grub to kde with new init-initng.

Today i remembered how much problems i had with my Belkin wireless PCMCIA card wich have RTL8180 chipset which it is not supported by KNOPPIX 3.9.

Download kernel 2.6.11which is used in live CD with some minor patches. I didnt apply patches because they are minor. Unpacked it under my GENTOO file system. Then reboot in knoppix and mount as su (super user) my gentoo file system. Copy original .config from /usr/src/linux to unpacked kernel on my gentoo file sys. Then i run make menuconfig and make.
There is NO NEED to compile whole kernel. Wait until is compiled first 30 lines and then break it with ctrl+C. After that copy folder linux-2.6.11/scripts into /usr/src/linux.

Then download rtl8180 driver from http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtl8180-sa2400. Unpack it and run make. If everything is ok then you have done it!!! I think this work for all drivers.

If someone need compiled drivers, you can reach me by the private message feature of this site. Or if someone could upload them on his server. My compiled drivers are patched for aireplay to. Works great with kismet and aircrack.

Bye. Sorry for my english

Harry Kuhman
05-16-2006, 07:15 PM
majhen,
I edited your above post to remove the e-mail address. Please don't post an e-mail address in the forums, the result will be that spammers will harvest it and it will soon get so much spam that it becomes worthless.

If you gave the forum a valid e-mail address when you signed up then you will get an e-mail when there are posts to your thread (a feature that you can turn off and on in your profile and by the "watch this thread" link at the bottom of the page for each topic), and you will get an e-mail if a private message is sent to you. At the very least if you feel that you must post an e-mail address, try to munge it so that automatic harvesting software doesn't get it (but don count on things like "myname at yahoo dot com" or "myname@yahoo,com.removethis" not getting caught by such software. Or at least use a free disposable forwarding service like Spamgourmet (http://www.spamgourmet.com/) so that your main account is not revealed and ruined by spammers.