PDA

View Full Version : Can't even boot! Strange ide-scsi thing

les-paul
05-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Dear KNX-fellas, please help me!

I can use Knoppix with no problems in my Celeron 1Ghz, but unfortunately i can't even boot with the same CD on my Athlon 800Mhz. I have tried versions 3.1 and 3.2, but none of them works.

I put the disc on my CD-RW (it is master on secondary channel i think, on the first channel i have the HD as master and the CD as slave), boot from it; then i get the boot: screen and type knoppix; the screen changes, i get a tux on top of the screen and then this message appears forever and ever in the screen, befeore any other kernel message:

ide-scsi:(IO,CoD)!=(0,1) while issuing a packet command.

I assume it is something related to the scsi emulation for the CD-RW, but i can't boot from the other CD. I tried the nodma and noscsi options with no luck.

Would be possible to run my beloved Knoppix on my machine?

Thanks in advance

rickenbacherus
05-12-2003, 01:59 AM

I can use Knoppix with no problems in my Celeron 1Ghz, but unfortunately i can't even boot with the same CD on my Athlon 800Mhz. I have tried versions 3.1 and 3.2, but none of them works.

I put the disc on my CD-RW (it is master on secondary channel i think, on the first channel i have the HD as master and the CD as slave), boot from it; then i get the boot: screen and type knoppix; the screen changes, i get a tux on top of the screen and then this message appears forever and ever in the screen, befeore any other kernel message:

Just to make sure- you booted like this right:
knoppix noscsi

I assume it is something related to the scsi emulation for the CD-RW, but i can't boot from the other CD. I tried the nodma and noscsi options with no luck.

Just curious-Why can't you boot from the other drive?
Do you have any real SCSI devices present?
How about some hardware specs too.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

les-paul
05-13-2003, 07:48 PM

Just to make sure- you booted like this right:
knoppix noscsi

Just curious-Why can't you boot from the other drive?
Do you have any real SCSI devices present?
How about some hardware specs too.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

All this is a bit outdated; i managed to boot with a floppy, hitting return on boot: (if i typed knoppix the same old thing appeared again). Then i booted into KDE with no problems; made a HD install and turned off the box. When i turned it on it started bootking up the kernel but i got the same ide-scsi message mixed up with another ones (they just scrolled way too fast for my eyes LOL). That is, back to where i started, but now booting from HD.

More info: Only IDE devices, no SCSI at all, but i think i do nned the scsci emulation in order to use the burner. ANd i don't know why i just can boot from it, if i place a disc on the CD-ROM the box just doesn't read it at all at boot time. Oddly enough.

Thanks again

rickenbacherus
05-13-2003, 10:15 PM
All this is a bit outdated; i managed to boot with a floppy, hitting return on boot: (if i typed knoppix the same old thing appeared again). Then i booted into KDE with no problems; made a HD install and turned off the box. When i turned it on it started bootking up the kernel but i got the same ide-scsi message mixed up with another ones (they just scrolled way too fast for my eyes LOL). That is, back to where i started, but now booting from HD.

More info: Only IDE devices, no SCSI at all, but i think i do nned the scsci emulation in order to use the burner. ANd i don't know why i just can boot from it, if i place a disc on the CD-ROM the box just doesn't read it at all at boot time. Oddly enough.

Thanks again

Hmmmmm- this is a weird one. Up for a little experimentation? Disconnect your non-booting cdrom and see if it boots the cd then. Try swapping the cdrom drives- i.e put the cd-rw on /dev/hdb and your standard cdrom on /dev/hdc. Will that machine as it is currently configured boot ANY bootable cd or is it just Knoppix it doesn't like?

pins134
07-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi evreyone!

I've had the same problem. My configuration:

Duron 1.3 GHz
MB MSI KT4 Ultra (not the kt4A)
256 Mo of RAM
HD1 6Go
HD2 Seagate 60Go
DVD Pioneer 115
CDRW Traxdata 12832

I've tried to boot from the DVD-rom, from the CDRW, from a floppy, always the same...

I have updated the bios of the motherboard from 1.0 to 1.4 -> no changes.
Updated the firmware of the cdrw to TV7I -> no changes.

I unplugged the CDRW, then it worked!

I'm going to make other changes to try.
I don't know if it talks to someone, i've found the error text on some patches like this one http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Nov/0389.html

Well, when it works, Knoppiks is a GREAT JOB!