PDA

View Full Version : JRE 1.5 not supported?

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi All,

Hope you can help me. Its that time of year again for my AP Computer Science students. They just took all their AP exams and now I thought I'd do a final project with them on graphics.

The problem is that we are now using JDK 1.5.1 from java.sun.com and have trouble with viewing our applets (Graphical Apps run fine). Last year we did fine with JDK 1.4. Our applets ran fine from an *.html file on line when viewed in Konqueror or Mozilla. In JDK 1.4 we used to use java.awt.applet. Now in JDK 1.5, we're using javax.swing.JApplet. This new code compiles fine with javac and runs fine with appleviewer, but will not run in Konqueror or Mozilla!

BTW, JApplets run fine from my WimpDoze box! Sorry, I had to say it. For example:
ftp://ftp.baldwinschools.net/calcpage/2006Applets/RectangleViewer/RectangleApplet.html

Also, the older applets based on JDK 1.4 run in Konqueror and mozilla fine. For example:
ftp://ftp.baldwinschools.net/calcpage/applets/ccj6drunk/index.html

I'm thinking that the JRE plug-ins for both Konqueror and Mozilla that come on the KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD do not support JRE 1.5? If so, how do I remedy this with a minimum of fuss? BTW, I'm running hard disk installed so I could also install JDK 1.5.1 on my server for class.

TIA,
AJG

WaKa
06-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I don't have a solution to the path, however, the knoppix 5.0.1 has an appletviewer and the javac compiler can do your Rectangle applet and more!

A. Jorge Garcia
06-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I wonder if the 5.0 CD will be available soon and if it will have this java support?

Thanx,
AJG

Harry Kuhman
06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I wonder if the 5.0 CD will be available soon
The CD was on the BitTorrent server last Friday, just a little after the DVD. I just talked to a friend who downloaded it today with BT in 20 minutes (he has a very fast pipe). I'm not sure about java though, but from the change log things look good:

- [CD] because of space reasons :-( , removed chromium, enigma, KDE-helpfiles, ruby, bison and some other development-related packages (we still have JAVA and C/C++, Perl, Python and PHP on the CD, in order to have an easy to set up LAMP system).

A. Jorge Garcia
06-06-2006, 12:44 AM
OK, but is this the standard java.sun.com jdk 1.5.1 or that Blackdown version? Blackdown was fine except when it came to doing graphics and applets....

Regards,
AJG

Harry Kuhman
06-06-2006, 01:36 AM
I have no clue, I don't do java.

WaKa
06-06-2006, 07:29 AM
my bad, I have the 5.0.1CD version
Well it's only this version

# java -version
java version "1.4.2_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_11-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_11-b06, mixed mode)

However, the java can do (Graphics g), applets, JOptionPane and listeners!
appletviewers and javac anywhere.
BTW, the appletviewer is here:
/usr/lib/j2se1.4-sun/bin/appletviewer

A. Jorge Garcia
06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
That's strange. Someone just gave me a copy of the 5.0 CD and javac -version returned and error. This tells me that the javac on the CD is still the blackdown version. Are you using the CD or the DVD? Try javac -version and see what you get for the JDK(you did java -version, that's the JRE).

BTW, can you run my sample JApplet (RectangleApplet) linked above with the 5.0 CD?

TIA,
AJG