PDA

View Full Version : Help with HD.

HandleX
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I've gotten files off a HD before via GUI knoppix, so im good with that.
However, i have a HD now that has windows on it.

Im booting off knoppix 3.7, then i run the "knoppix" command to load knoppix.
I see the HD on the KDE Desktop...however when i attempt to get into it (mount is the term?), its sooooooooooooo slow and freezes up everything and a little green bullet with the word "stalled" next to it appears in the konquer window for the access to the HD.

I need to get the "My Documents" folder off the HD.

So im figuring i need to do the following:

A) find the user name as to which the My documents resides under.
B) copy the files from the my documents over to desktop, to put on an external storage device VIA command line.

can someone help me with this.....i dont know too much via the command line and due to the massive freezing when attempting to access the HD via GUI, i figured the command line would work better.

Thanks

spaceinvader001
05-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Just give it time I take it your getting the files off the hd to format or reinstall to it anyway? So this should be a onetime procedure if that still doesnt work try 4.02 or if need i can give you a link to the 3.2 iso sometimes the older versions work beter than the new the only way you know is to give it a shot.
the 3.2 is on cd here so I will have to image it and give you a direct link to my box here.

HandleX
05-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Just give it time I take it your getting the files off the hd to format or reinstall to it anyway? So this should be a onetime procedure if that still doesnt work try 4.02 or if need i can give you a link to the 3.2 iso sometimes the older versions work beter than the new the only way you know is to give it a shot.
the 3.2 is on cd here so I will have to image it and give you a direct link to my box here.

yes please do.

i still am having problems with it.

ckamin
05-19-2006, 08:52 AM
You might also want to check out the "DMA" or "NODMA" cheatcode options. Not sure if DMA is on by default in 3.7, but you might try it each way to see if it makes a difference. It sometimes has a profound effect on optical drives as well as hard disks.