PDA

View Full Version : having boot probles

sahkahnah
05-17-2006, 09:02 PM
hello any one whos reading this my proble is that i cant boot knoppix on cd i've tried a bunch of difernt coppys but they all leave me in about the same spot. the spot it leaves me at is after its done most of the booting i've had 1 copy that whent as far as starting to load the x-sever (i get a gray screen with lots of dots alll over it and the other copys leave me a a black screen that wornt go past) i've tried the things that the manual say to do (ex: screen size and lang settings) if any one has any answers for me i would greatly appreciate it.

Harry Kuhman
05-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Based on what you posted, I suggest that you read answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

sahkahnah
05-18-2006, 12:28 AM
its not coverd by answer 1

Harry Kuhman
05-18-2006, 12:32 AM
its not coverd by answer 1
Well, you certainly are not giving us anything else to go on, or how you concluded the above. I don't intend to write a book in response to a 6 word response. Let me just say, I believe it is.

sahkahnah
05-18-2006, 12:38 AM
sorry about my last responce i mean its not covered by it because i know that the dick works i has worked on 3 other mecheins today so i nkow its not a downloat or burn problem.

ive been trying new ways to get it to run but all i get now is the the x-sever keeps failing i have fo clue what that means.

Harry Kuhman
05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
so i nkow its not a downloat or burn problem.

ive been trying new ways to get it to run but all i get now is the the x-sever keeps failing i have fo clue what that means.

Both my post in answer #1 and the Downloading faq it references directly dispute the "it works on other computers" quip that many people make. If you don't choose to listen to experience that is your choice but not my problem. Of course, if you have dirt on the CD drive lense that could be an issue too, but since you report no other issue with that CD drive I have to suspect what is the most commonly seen problem. The fact that you report the system failing at different points in the boot process further supports my belief that it is a disc reading problem, and not a need for cheat codes or other help (although I expect that cheat codes are referenced in the downloading faq too, or at least they should be).

spaceinvader001
05-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Knoppix nodma

if not just go down the list