PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem

Neth
05-20-2006, 03:40 AM
I have downloaded the knoppix live 4.0 2CD version, EN. I burnt it on a 700mb, 80 min CD-R at a 4x burning speed. When I Boot my com, I get the welcome screen "If you want to start knoppix press return etc." I press return, a black screen with a linux penguin turns up, and there it stays. I started up my xbox, and sat there playing for about 20 minutes. still same screen. Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com? I've tried running the TestCD command, then I get a black screen, and it stays black. Any ideas?

(This is my first post here. I do not intend to write alot here, but I will be here reading as much as I possibly can. I decided to include this little welcoming message in this post. Hello everyone)

Harry Kuhman
05-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com?
Something is wrong. Knoppix should boot in just a few minutes, usually more than one but less than 5. I've only sen it take extremely long times on old memory starved systems (such as 64 meg P90s). The disc might be ok, you might need some "cheat codes" to help it through the boot process.

Did you verify the download with the md5 check (you didn't comment on that)? If not you could still do that if you still have the original ISO. Also read the cheat codes section of the wiki. I would suggest trying the dma and/or noacpi cheat codes. You might also try knoppix failsafe or try booting in expert mode.

Neth
05-20-2006, 04:22 AM
Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com?
Something is wrong. Knoppix should boot in just a few minutes, usually more than one but less than 5. I've only sen it take extremely long times on old memory starved systems (such as 64 meg P90s). The disc might be ok, you might need some "cheat codes" to help it through the boot process.

Did you verify the download with the md5 check (you didn't comment on that)? If not you could still do that if you still have the original ISO. Also read the cheat codes section of the wiki. I would suggest trying the dma and/or noacpi cheat codes. You might also try knoppix failsafe or try booting in expert mode.

I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again and return to this thread again if I still have the same problem. Sorry about taking up your time

Harry Kuhman
05-20-2006, 06:13 AM
I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again....
This is why I highly recommend BitTorrent over the mirrors, I have had bad downloads from the mirrors about 1/2 the time (so no assurances you will not have another bad one if you use the mirrors again), BitTorrent downloads have always been good for me. And faster than the mirrors. And depending on your corruption, BitTorrent can sometimes even repair bad downloads from a Mirror and prevent the need for a full download.

Neth
05-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again....
This is why I highly recommend BitTorrent over the mirrors, I have had bad downloads from the mirrors about 1/2 the time (so no assurances you will not have another bad one if you use the mirrors again), BitTorrent downloads have always been good for me. And faster than the mirrors. And depending on your corruption, BitTorrent can sometimes even repair bad downloads from a Mirror and prevent the need for a full download.

I downloaded it from bittorrent.

ckamin
05-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Neth:

Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.

When you re-download by Bittorrent, you can try letting it overwrite to the existing location and it should repair your file, if it is indeed corrupted. It's unusual for a torrent download to be corrupt, but it is possible.

Neth
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Neth:

Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.

When you re-download by Bittorrent, you can try letting it overwrite to the existing location and it should repair your file, if it is indeed corrupted. It's unusual for a torrent download to be corrupt, but it is possible.

Well, I'm on 2048mb at the moment, so.

I've re-downloaded it now, I've checked it with MD5Summer, it's green. I'm going to burn it in a few mins.

Neth
05-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Neth:

Well, I'm on 2048mb at the moment, so.

I've re-downloaded it now, I've checked it with MD5Summer, it's green. I'm going to burn it in a few mins.

Everything was great with the download. However, it still didn't work. I burnt at 4x on CD-R, and I get a black screen.

ckamin
05-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Have you tried any cheatcodes? Especially the ones that Harry mentioned previously? Run through some of them, like the nousb, noddc, failsafe, etc. You might have some hardware that is troublesome. It's just a matter of getting past it, if that is the problem.

rolfhub
06-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Neth:

Well, I don't think KDE needs 256 MB, I've once tried Knoppix on my gateway/router/server PC, with only 128 MB of RAM (and a whopping 2 MB graphics RAM on the PCI graphics card), and, well, it did run quite well, slow but stable and quite usable (KDE @ 1024x768x16 bit color). So it should work out even on old hardware.

ckamin
06-01-2006, 05:55 AM
rolfhub:

Good for you. I have had systems run KDE miserably on 196Meg with 4 or 8 Meg Video Ram. I have NOT encountered a system that did not run KDE acceptably with 256Meg or more. Hence the statement I made. It's a subjective observation and there could always be the exception. It's also personal opinion as what "Run Well" would mean. A system with only 128 Meg SHARING memory with a GPU, might NOT run well. I have seen many people try to boot Knoppix with KDE on a system that would be borderline with a desktop like iceWM. They can get it to run, but it is SLOW and not running acceptably. It could also cause an unusually long boot time.

rolfhub
06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
rolfhub:
Good for you. I have had systems run KDE miserably on 196Meg with 4 or 8 Meg Video Ram. I have NOT encountered a system that did not run KDE acceptably with 256Meg or more. Hence the statement I made. It's a subjective observation and there could always be the exception. It's also personal opinion as what "Run Well" would mean. A system with only 128 Meg SHARING memory with a GPU, might NOT run well. I have seen many people try to boot Knoppix with KDE on a system that would be borderline with a desktop like iceWM. They can get it to run, but it is SLOW and not running acceptably. It could also cause an unusually long boot time.

Well, I can guarantee for nothing, it did work for me, but of course, it was quite slow (but still usable). I don't know what it would be like booting the mentioned system with the newest version of Knoppix/Kanotix/etc. (I tried it about 1,5 years ago). I think it also depends much on the northbride and southbridge (how well they are supported), not only on the processor and RAM.

Also shared RAM is always MUCH slower than separate RAM (I wouldn't recommend to anyone to buy a system with shared RAM (which is quite common with notebooks).

ckamin
06-03-2006, 01:31 AM
rolfhub:

I have one OLD Pentium2 400 with 128Meg of ram and a 16 meg Video adaptor. It runs KDE BETTER than icewm or even FluxBox in some distros. Knoppix 4.0.2 is great on it. I have another one with an 8Meg Graphics card and it runs so slow, it makes Windows look good! I just like to have as much horsepower as I can muster in a machine and then give it a shot. It's dependant on other things besides RAM. Laptops are rather troublesome as well. More display issues than it's worth sometimes. I have a few notebooks that work just fine with Knoppix and a couple that are problematic. Can't wait to try out 5.0.1. Downloaded both the DVD and the CD. Let's hope for the best!

rolfhub
06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
rolfhub:
I have one OLD Pentium2 400 with 128Meg of ram and a 16 meg Video adaptor. It runs KDE BETTER than icewm or even FluxBox in some distros. Knoppix 4.0.2 is great on it. I have another one with an 8Meg Graphics card and it runs so slow, it makes Windows look good! I just like to have as much horsepower as I can muster in a machine and then give it a shot.

Well, much horsepower is always a good thing ;-)

It's dependant on other things besides RAM. Laptops are rather troublesome as well. More display issues than it's worth sometimes. I have a few notebooks that work just fine with Knoppix and a couple that are problematic. Can't wait to try out 5.0.1. Downloaded both the DVD and the CD. Let's hope for the best!

Yes, notebooks seem to be a bit harder to get running smoothly than "normal" desktop hardware, but most of the time, the problems are not too severe, so one can work with them. I wish you the best of luck :-)