PDA

View Full Version : Why to Install Knoppix to your HD

spaceinvader001
05-20-2006, 07:58 AM
After Doing both Debian net install and the CD install. I have found if you have all 3 including your Knoppix CD their is not much that you cannot do. The Debian disks do have their good points but for ease of installation other than the fact you loose your screensavers and have to update your browsers knoppix is by far the easiest. The CD installation of Debian close behind only no matter what machine the Debian CD's always seem to error out at some point and require a lot of manual tweaking to get it done sucsesfully. With Knoppix just follow the prompts and in a short time it reboots into a fairly well functiong system.

Thanks
MR. Knopper! best yet distro.

Harry Kuhman
05-20-2006, 08:07 AM
..... The CD installation of Debian close behind only no matter what machine the Debian CD's always seem to error out at some point and require a lot of manual tweaking to get it done sucsesfully.....
This has not been my experience and your post makes me wonder what Debian CD's you are talking about. I need only one Debian CD, the Etch net-install CD. Yes, I have installed from a Full CD #1, but using the net-install CD is much easier and makes apt-get of additional applications even more easy (as you less often have to find the CD #1 when you go to install something else). "Sarge" is pretty easy too, but it's older and so the installer is slightly less nice, but if you are comparing to Knopix then there is no reason to not compare Etch/testing since Knoppix contains a lot of Etch/testing code.

I also wonder if your CD's always erroring out might not have more to do with the media or how you burnt them than anything to do with Debian.

spaceinvader001
05-21-2006, 02:29 AM
I Have used both the Net install and the disk 1 for 386 both continually error out maybe they have errors on the debian.org side ? I did check the md5 sums and both cd's check good <Actually I did this with 4 diff cd's just to make sure> and I rechecked all them at the menu item you get when you run the installation menu item to check the cd after the install errors out. I have done several at least 100 more or less installs all are on older machines though p2-3 or older amd's anyway I have had both types of installs work and I still prefer my ol woody disks Maybe its the age of the puters? I just prefer the Knoppix Install seems to me to be at least 2x as effective and at least twice as fast. I think my next step is to remaster it with the screensavers and the latest Firefox and Thunderbird. Again My highest complements to Mr. Knopper and all the team Great Job!
Another quick question Don't ya find it just a bit funny the best recommended tool to repair XP with is now Knoppix!