PDA

View Full Version : Problems using knoppix liveCD to delete files on sdb2

voteslave
05-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi

I am pretty new to linux and have been using Ubuntu which got messed up to the extent i need to delete some files from the /boot partition

it was suggested i try the knoppix LIVECD (very impressed by the way) to do this

my problem is that when i try and delete the files it tells me:

please note i just did 'su' to become a superuser - it didn't ask for a password (i assume there isn't one on the LiveCD) and i assume i really am superuser mode

root@0[files]# rm abi-2.6.15-22-386
rm: remove regular file `abi-2.6.15-22-386'? y
rm: cannot remove `abi-2.6.15-22-386': Read-only file system
(N.B. the files i want to remove are in a hidden trash file)

if i try and open konquerer from root i get this:

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
root@0[knoppix]# sudo konqueror
mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
ICE Connection rejected!

When my ubuntu worked it let me edit and delete files in this dir - i am confused as to why knoppix tells me its read only

Anything i can do to make it read only and thus be able to delete my files

any help very much appreciated

Dave_Bechtel
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
--You need to remount the partition/filesystem read/write.

' mount /mnt/blah -oremount,rw '

--I recommend using Midnight Commander for file deletion ( anything more than 1 file ;-) )
' mc '

Hi

I am pretty new to linux and have been using Ubuntu which got messed up to the extent i need to delete some files from the /boot partition

it was suggested i try the knoppix LIVECD (very impressed by the way) to do this

my problem is that when i try and delete the files it tells me:

please note i just did 'su' to become a superuser - it didn't ask for a password (i assume there isn't one on the LiveCD) and i assume i really am superuser mode

root@0[files]# rm abi-2.6.15-22-386
rm: remove regular file `abi-2.6.15-22-386'? y
rm: cannot remove `abi-2.6.15-22-386': Read-only file system
(N.B. the files i want to remove are in a hidden trash file)

if i try and open konquerer from root i get this:

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
root@0[knoppix]# sudo konqueror
mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
ICE Connection rejected!
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
ICE Connection rejected!

When my ubuntu worked it let me edit and delete files in this dir - i am confused as to why knoppix tells me its read only

Anything i can do to make it read only and thus be able to delete my files

any help very much appreciated

voteslave
05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
thanks Dave

also found there was a ticky box thing in the drive 'properties'

Cheers