PDA

View Full Version : ssh and knoppix firewall

dmizer
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
okay, first of all i am using knoppix in a pinch. i am running knoppix 4.0 from the DVD.

i am in a situation where i need to have a firewalled network in place, but i will be without a router for a couple of weeks.

the machine i have pressed into this service is an ancient laptop which i need to occasionally ssh into to check up on acpi.

with the knoppix firewall and nat in place, the network functions just as i needed it to. i configured knoppix firewall in advanced mode and made sure that ports were open for icmp and ssh, but when i try to ssh into the knoppix box, it times out every time. when i take down the firewall, i can ssh, but then my nat is not working.

i can ping my knoppix router no problem with the firewall on, but ssh is an enigma. since enabling the port for icmp is in the same list as the selection for ssh, i assumed that if i could ping, i should be able to ssh.

any ideas on what i might be missing?

Kowood
05-25-2006, 12:40 AM
From the router, run an nmap scan (man nmap if you don't know what to do, though you need not bother with many options if it's from the localhost) and see if port 22 is listed as open.