PDA

View Full Version : home directory woes

mirage358
05-23-2006, 04:03 AM
First, a little exposition on my problem:

I have been using a Knoppix hard drive install for the past nine months to run my system. Now that the school year is over for me and I actually have time, I've decided that I want to build and install LFS (Linux From Scratch) on my system. However, I'm using Knoppix 4.0.2 as my base system from which to do so.

During the last nine months with my knoppix hard drive install, I gathered plenty of settings that I would like to keep. I've moved them all over to a specific partition (/dev/hdd1), in the top level directory. My question is: how can I use this partition as a persistent home directory? Even if I had to run a bash script after every boot, I could manage that. I've tried simply mounting (as root) the partition at /home/knoppix, and the only result I've seen from this is that the system hangs every time it tries to access /home/knoppix.

I know I'm probably missing something here, and any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated :)

mirage358
05-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Nevermind, I have the problem solved; I've copied the appropriate app. folders from the partition into /home/knoppix. I don't find this to be an ideal solution, but it works.