PDA

View Full Version : CDrom

phlyxuz
05-26-2006, 03:37 AM
I can play music files from my windows-based partitions, but cannot play music from cdrom. XMMS will show that the tracks are playing but I get no sound.
If I insert a data cd, all the data can be accessed. What's going on?

ckamin
05-28-2006, 05:48 AM
It might be that somehow your CD drive does not support digital audio extraction under Linux, or at least Knoppix. I would look to see if there is an audio cable going from the CD drive to the soundcard. It could also be that the soundcard is not properly configured or the sound levels are not configured properly for CD Audio. If you are trying headphones, try speakers instead. If there is more than one output jack, try more than one. Other than that, there should be no reason why CD audio files would not play. Poke around with the settings and see if anything looks to be amiss.

phlyxuz
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
How can I check the configuration of the soundcard with Knoppix?

ckamin
05-28-2006, 10:37 PM
By using "alsaconf" when logged in as su, configuring your driver, and then configure "alsamixer" or "kmix", or both. That is one way, if my memory serves me correctly. There are also some "alsa" cheatcodes that can be use on boot up, if sound configuration is an issue. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and look for cheatcodes. You might also do a search in this forum, since it would be hard to believe this has not been addressed before.