PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems

igotbadluck
05-26-2006, 04:43 AM
I recently downloaded linux 3.8 and burned the iso image with iso recorder onto a high speed cd-rw. i put the disc into a cd-rw drive in my old computer, i quess windows 98, with blank hd, and set ide and bios to boot from cd-rom. when i turn on computer, i get nothin.

i dont know whats wrong and can somebody help?

Harry Kuhman
05-26-2006, 04:51 AM
I know nothing about ISO recorder. The ISO in the name sounds promising, but ....
I suggest that you take a look at answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

igotbadluck
05-27-2006, 02:06 AM
ok i fixed boot problem but now the linux boot menu says boot failed

igotbadluck
05-28-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah the iso recorder is listed in answer number 1

now when my knoppix goes into desktop the whole thing is blury and staticky and i cant see shit

ckamin
05-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Since nobody but you has any idea what hardware you are trying to use, It's very difficult to diagnose your issue without those details. I can point you in a direction that should help to resolve your problem. There are Cheatcodes that can be entered at the "boot:" prompt before continuing to boot Knoppix. The right cheatcode to use might be determined by some trial and error. More information can be found through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page. Or you can find it here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes It appears that the issue might be related to the video adaptor that you are using, so I would look over anything that might pertain to your specific hardware. You can use a few like noacpi, failsafe, dma, nodma, etc. There is one that specifies the "driver" to use and looks like this: xmodule=(Appropriate GPU Here) There is a reference for the proper modules like i810, radeon, etc in the documentation link I provided for cheat codes. Look for codes that modify video parameters and you would probably be on the right track. If it is a monitor detection issue, sometimes a noddc code works. Using most of the codes, you must type knoppix and then the code. For example, "knoppix dma". You can string other codes after the first one in a series after typing knoppix. If you are using a laptop, there are sometimes more hardware issues to resolve.

You can use the "testcd" code to check your CD for accuracy. It's not 100% foolproff, but it will tell you if the CD has the files it is supposed to have.

I would also recommend trying a later version than 3.8, or if your hardware is much older, an older version than 3.8 might even do the trick.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out!