PDA

View Full Version : changing "well come to knoppix" at start of boot p

Prakash Patil
05-26-2006, 11:47 AM
hello there,

i am customising knoppix live cd(version 3.7), i want to change the well come banner-"Well come to KnoppixCD" -that will be shown at the start of booting the cd. i found that this phrase is present in minirt24.gz etc. i tried to change this phrase after gunziping and again i gziped and made the iso and burnt it to cd, but while booting, after boot splash image it is showing an error-Kernel panic- Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3). so i am very much greatfull if any one knows about this and reply me.

Prakash patil

mcreel
06-07-2006, 08:36 AM
You need to gzip it using "gzip -9 minirt". Other than that, it sounds like you are doing this correctly. You might want to install qemu, so that you can test your ISOs without burning them.

Prakash Patil
06-08-2006, 10:09 AM
You need to gzip it using "gzip -9 minirt". Other than that, it sounds like you are doing this correctly. You might want to install qemu, so that you can test your ISOs without burning them.

thanks a lot.

but i have done the job by doing so before 3 days and compleeted it , and i mounted the minirt24 using the command '# mount -o loop minirt24 /../mountpoint'. made the nessary changes, saved it gziped it. now everything is going well.
any way thanks again for ur kind information.

Lukasz_P
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
I have other problem with that in Knoppix 4.0.2; here's how I trying to do this:

after I "unchroot" from an unpacked iso file, I gunzip minirt.gz; after editing welcoming message with mc, gzip it again with gzip minirt or gzip -9 minirt, then I run mkisofs with some parameters, that are in tutotial on wiki

when booting up, after first title screen, changed welcome message is there, but second line is:
Probing scsi... pas16.ko and system hangs; keyboard works normally, but I have no use of it