PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix cd on a Dell Dimension 4500S

TimothyStow
05-27-2006, 03:32 AM
This computer system only has a 1 cd drive, a CD-RW drive. The Knoppix cd boots up fine. But when I go to remove the cd to insert a blank cd to burn, the drive will not open. If I go to the burning software and right click on the burner on the left side and choose Eject, I get an error message saying that I cannot unmount the drive.

So how can I rescue files off of this computer and burn them onto a cd if I cannot access the drive itself while running Knoppix? Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
05-27-2006, 04:31 AM
Maybe you can't, such is the nature of running an OS from CD. If you have a gig or more of memory you could use the toram cheat code to load Knoppix into memory (the CD, not the DVD) and that would free up your drive. And you can use a smaller version of a Live CD called DSL (Knoppix derived) and either write the 50 meg ISO to a multisession CD and then use the rest of that CD for writing, or you likely can use the toram cheat code with DSL to freee up the CD drive. Of course, other options includ adding another optical drive (internal or external) or writing your file to a flash RAM drive and burning them later with a different OS. If you like Linux enough from what you see on the Knoppix Live CD, consider making some space for Linux on the hard disk, installing Debian to hard disk and then adding any packages that you like, which would let you burn all you want.