PDA

View Full Version : some questions about knoppix 4.0.2 DVD

tworiversfolk
05-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

I am a pretty new user of Linux and today I just booted Knoppix the very first time. :D

I have both CD and DVD version. CD works fine (well, not exactly, I typed toram and I didn't get any sound when I played music, but I guess I will try it later. This is not the concern right now) but I cannot boot with DVD. :cry:

Windows XP starts even with DVD in the DVD-ROM (yes, I set BIOS correctly as you can see that CD works). I tried severay times, all same. Does that mean it is a damaged DVD or what else? IS DVD even bootable or just used for store more software and we HAVE TO boot by CD every time?

also, i have some files in hard disk which was named in Chinese and I cannot find them in Linux system. they were just disappeared. (but I AM able to find and access to the files in English in the same partition). Apart from that, I cannot find Chinese input software in Knoppix. Do I need to download somewhere?

I have read some basic Linux books for newbies such as Knowing Knoppix and Linux for Dammy and Linux Bible 2006 (haven't finished this one yet) but I could not find information about that.

any advice would be appriciated. thanks again

Harry Kuhman
05-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes, the DVD version is intended to be bootable. You didn't tell us enough to pin down your problem, my first impression is that it could be any of the following but it also may be something else:

The DVD may have been burnt at too high of a speed to boot reliably, or you may simply have a media problem (I have seen a lot of bad or marginal DVD media).

You mention putting the DVD in the DVD drive. Is it the first optical drive on that controler and the same one that you boot the CD from? Some BIOSes seem only to boot from the first optical drive, Smart Boot Manager may help you boot from other drives.

The DVD section of the drive may be bad or marginal (most DVD drives use a diffeerent laser for the CD and DVD section AFAIK)
It might help if you told us what does and doesn't happen when you try to boot the DVD. Does the disc even spin? Do you get the prompt screen?

tworiversfolk
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I reburned DVD and now it works fine (again, there's minor problem with drivers but i will figure that later. )

now i am waiting for the 5.01 DVD and next time I will definately write a detailed message when i have sth. to ask for help.

Thanks again. :)

Harry Kuhman
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I reburned DVD and now it works fine ....
Do you have any insight on what the problem with the first burn was? This may help others.