PDA

View Full Version : HD problems

abhishekbh
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
hey...one of my harddrives (primary/slave) went down because of a blown fuse in the house. Since then, I have not been able to boot up my system. Both my HDs have windows xp, so usually I can boot from any, but because of a problem with my BIOS, my primary HD fails to boot after a fuse. So usually I just have to force it to boot based on my slave drive (by accessing the boot page from my slave drive) and then it works fine. But this time, that is not working, my slave drive is not being detected! I know that it hasn't gone bad because I did boot from it in this procedure, and also because it has an external light showing what the problem is. So I can tell that it is not being detected because of the drivetable, but then again, I have tried out every possible combination.
So now my system is not detecting this drive at all. So I booted knoppix from my cd-rom and hooked up only this problematic drive to it. I want to force the computer into detecting it somehow. Is there a command that I can use for it? I tried fdisk etc, but it keeps on saying drive not found.
And if I can't boot up this disk, then I can't boot up my other disk!
Any ideas?

thanks in advance

cheers