PDA

View Full Version : variations

simple
01-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Hi
One of the frustrating things about Linux is the variation within a version.
For example: StarManta asks (below) about saving preferences and Old Pete gives clear instructions.
Well I get my internet configured, set up my email, send myself an email to confirm, and then follow Old Pete's instuctions.
Reboot.(with floppy in) no configs.
Look at the floppy; it has conig file and knoppix.sh file.
TryF2, consol, "run" all nogo
I assume my computer has some slight difference that causes this
Any advice would be most welcome
Thanks

Loper
01-01-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm unclear about your question. Are you asking how to load your saved preferences from floppy? It's not automatic. For that, type

knoppix floppyconfig

at the Boot: prompt. If that's NOT what you meant, please clarify.

Gort
01-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Not trying to split hairs, but isn't it "knoppix floppyconf" (no quotes), or can it be done both ways? (I suppose I could find that out myself in a minute.)

BTW, although I use Mandrake as my permanent Linux distro, I do like dabbling with Knoppix. It's also great to show others who are a bit frightened of Linux the benefits it can give... but I think you all know that. :)

Gort
01-01-2003, 03:01 AM
OK, after checking, it seems that you can do both "knoppix floppyconf" and "knoppix floppyconfig". Learn something new every day. :wink:

simple
01-01-2003, 03:04 AM
To Loper
Hi
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry that I did not make myself clear.
Yes I did type "knoppix floppyconfig"(No quotes) at boot up.
But first I should say that when I put _both_ the floppy and the CD in and _then_ pressed the power button the comp. would not boot; the floppy had to be inserted sometime (what time?) after power up.
I also tried (when it did not work when typed at boot) the other command line windows mentioned.
Thanks again for your help.
(also tried "knoppix floppycon")

Gort
01-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Maybe I'm answering something you've already done, but I'll carry on. You put only the CD in and then power up the computer. You are, a few seconds after the computer POSTs, then faced with the starting Knoppix screen and at the bottom is a prompt where you type "knoppix floppyconf" (or "knoppix floppyconfig") or some other commands (you can press F2 to bring up other options). When you see this screen, just place the floppy in the drive and type the above words, then press Enter.

Your problem seems to be that you are putting the floppy in the drive and the computer is trying to boot the floppy; it should be booting the CD instead.

I hope I have answered your question rather than telling you something you already know. :)

simple
01-01-2003, 03:15 AM
I should have realized that I had changed my BIOS to first boot from a floppy so that i could use a boot floppy when I installed Knoppix to the hdd. (the install is not yet a success, but I would prefer, given a choice, not to change the Bios back to a cd first choice). I have ME on 2gig of a 30 gig hdd and it suffices for email. So if ,with my existing BIOS setup I will not be able to save my preferences, I can live with it (but sadly!).

simple
01-01-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi
My reply crossed yours .
That is what I did.
Even when I waited and put the floppy in when the boot prompt appeared, typed "knoppix floppyconfig" and hit enter the congigurations, even my wheel mouse config., did not take effect.
Thanks for your help.