PDA

View Full Version : Help Linux survive

cajunboy2k
05-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Greeting fellow Linux users:

As most of you know, Linux is facing major obstacles known as Trusted Computing (TC) and Digital Rights Management (DRM). If these are new terms for you, it would be in your best interest to educate yourself on how these two schemes will influence the way you use your computer in the near future.
Trusted Computing. TC is a scheme in which software and hardware companies agree to only support each others products.
DRM imposes heavy restrictions on how digital media, (music, video etc...) can be used by consumers.
These are very simplified definitions, but show how these schemes can limit consumer choice, stifle competition, inhibit innovation, violate anti-trust laws, and possibly invade consumer privacy.
We need to band together on these issues, and alert congress as to the serious problems that these technologies could cause. Already, there is a man going to Washington DC to walk the halls of the congressional offices. He will let senators and representatives alike know the dangers of these oppressive technologies. He goes by the name Helios, and is the administrator of the website www.lobby4linux.com . Helios advocates the use of Linux as an alternative to Microsoft and Macintosh. Check out his website and blog to see how passionate he is about the dangers of TC and DRM.
Now, to the main point of my post. In order for Helios to go to Washington DC he needs donations. A $5 or $10 donation will help him with travel, lodging, and food costs along the way. He is going to DC under the advisement of Sen. John Cornyn of Texas. The senator said that he was unaware of these dangers and suggested that Helios go to Washington and knock on some doors to spread the word.
Though we may use different distributions of Linux, it is up to ALL Linux users to join forces and put a stop to these restrictive, possibly intrusive technologies.

Stop by www.lobby4linux.com and see the work Helios is doing.

Thank you for reading and for your support.

Cajunboy2k

cajunboy2k@gmail.com

jjmac
05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
The TC thing tends to worry me. Arn't there anti trust, anti cartel laws that would stop that. Or is the intention to work around it via definitions.

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !

turbine
06-25-2006, 12:11 PM
It seems to me that going to congress is tantamount to asking the fox to guard the henhouse.

jjmac
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
It seems to me that going to congress is tantamount to asking the fox to guard the henhouse.

(grin)

jm