PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem after install to HD

babyyou
05-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Dear all,

I just install Knoppix new version by follow the instruc... My hard disk already run Redhat 9 and windows XP. When install the Knoppix I also delete Redhat by raplate partition. I just wonder that in list of partitions for install Knoppix I only see one partition that is "/" of Redhat without any partition for boot or swap. But anyway I follow up to install Knoppix . Affter finish I restart and receive error mesenger like this

"Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknow-block(36)

So please help me to fix it.

Thanks

jjmac
06-02-2006, 11:40 AM
babyyou,

That error is typically generated when the kernel can't find a table entry for the root partition.

You may have a corrupted partition table. I find your post somewhat hard to understand so i can't really offer much more on this except ...

Could you provide a more ordered description of the situation. Just so folks don't have to guess.

You say, or rather, it appears as your saying that your partitioning for the knoppix install involved wiping your RH install.

I assume you either installed in the same location or resized the area.

I would also guess that what ever Linux boot loader your using was likely installed to the mbr. And i would expect that it was installed with your knoppix. If the loader was from your RH install, and as you seem to have "removed" RH, you would likely have a Loader error rather than a kernel error. True for Lilo at least. Though .... if it is Grub, and you installed to the same partition as existed for RH ... then grub would likely still find its secondary files.

But here i am making guesses.

Please clarify ....

Where are you getting thethe following from ....

>>
in list of partitions for install Knoppix I only see one partition that is "/" of Redhat without any partition for boot or swap.
>>

/etc/fstab ???

How ???

Are you using the LiveCD and mounting the install ???

Not possible if the table entry is missing !

Can you boot into your XP ???

If not, ie; can't boot into anything ...

Boot the LiveCD and post the output from,

]# cfdisk -Pt /dev/hda

please.

hda = your first drive, assuming ide. Change to whatever it might be.

Without the info there isn't much point in anyone responding to your question really. No offence if that sounds harsh either. I'm just trying to be helpful on those points :)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !