PDA

View Full Version : SETI@Home on KNOPPIX

webpromo
05-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Hello,

I am a new user to linux and I am using KNOPPIX (cd based). I would like to know how can I use SETI@Home on the KNOPPIX distro?

Is there already a preconfigured version out there that someone has created to simply bootup and on startup .. it launches SETI?

Is there a command line version of SETI that will run DISKLESS?

Thanks,
Chris K.

Stephen
05-11-2003, 10:40 PM
You will have to run it after you boot. Download the seti linux client (setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar) to a directory (seti) on your HD. When your boot to knoppix open a console window and sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? to mount the drive then cd seti then sudo tar -xvf setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar to extract the file it will create a setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux directory with the files in there cd setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux then sudo ./setiathome will start the client.

Replace the ?? with the hard drive and partition number and this assumes you are using a i686 computer you may want the i386 version. You can run the client in memory in the /ramdisk/home/knoppix but any results will not be saved unless you save them to floppy before you shut down the computer.

webpromo
05-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Ok,

what about a diskless version. In other words....seti running right off a floppy disk........NO CDROM, NO HardDrive...??

Stephen
05-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Ok,

what about a diskless version. In other words....seti running right off a floppy disk........NO CDROM, NO HardDrive...??

You would need a boot disk with networking support for your connection put the files for seti on there, boot the machine connect to internet and run the seti program.

webpromo
05-11-2003, 11:40 PM
ya but do you know where I can get one?

I dont know how to build one :(
I downloaded one before and now can't find it or the bookmark :x