PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0.1

eadz
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I was sent an email from the owner of on-disk.com :

I was talking with Klaus Knopper yesterday. I was given the ISO for the
5.0.1 DVD and permission to list it in our catalog.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/112

This is a Win-Win situation for the Knoppix Project and Knoppix fans.

Win for users.... They will be booting up while others are cramming the
download mirrors. Ship time for US addresses is about 3 days
(International 7 or so). When they order a disc today, and it will be
in their mail box Friday when the ISO goes public.

Win for Knoppix... Because the disc is coming from On-Disk.com, Klaus
Knopper will get funds for the project for every disc we ship.

Introducing KNOPPIX version 5.01

The 5.01 DVD will be officially released to the public on June 2, 2006 and is currently available ONLY on DVD media.

With 5.0.1 KNOPPIX moves from a "Live Distribution" to being a "Full Distrobution". The KNOPPIX 5.0.1 Live DVD contains updated from 5.0 which saw some major changes in the unionfs-based file system, new hardware detection and autoconfiguration, and a more "genuine Debian" oriented selection of packages. Apart from this, the harddisk install option ("knoppix-installer") has been extended by Martin Öhler, based on the work of Fabian Franz, featuring a "live update" of specific packages from a new version of the live DVD or CD.

KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational DVD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos.

It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the DVD can have over 8GB of executable software installed on it.
Click here to view Screen Shots of Knoppix 5.0.

* Linux Kernel 2.6.15.4
* Debian (testing/unstable)
* Xorg Version 6.9
* udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
* KDE 3.5.1, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
* OpenOffice 2.0.1 (german+english)
* transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
* new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
* Many Updates...

You can buy it here http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/112 now, and it will be released to the public on June the 2nd.

adb
06-01-2006, 02:01 AM
You should update the information on your page, because right now it lists the information for Knoppix 5.0.

For Knoppix 5.0.1 the following applies (quoting from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html):
What's new
Linux Kernel 2.6.17 (rc)
Debian (testing/unstable)
Xorg Version 7.0
Detection of onboard IDE-Raid Controllers and raid disk components
udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
KDE 3.5.2, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
OpenOffice 2.0.2 (german+english)
transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
Many, MANY Updates...[/b]

MaldiGola
06-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Where is the CD version of 5.0.1? I thought they were to be released on the same day? I am downloading the DVD right now, but I always like to have the CD version handy as well.

adb
06-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Where is the CD version of 5.0.1? I thought they were to be released on the same day? I am downloading the DVD right now, but I always like to have the CD version handy as well.

At the same time together with the DVD edition, a CD version with somewhat reduced content ("Best of Desktop applications") will be published on the mirrors.

There's no such thing as infinite bandwidth, so I guess if you guys can just wait a little bit...

kirol
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
On the 30-May-2006, Klaus Knopper said on the knoppix mailing list:

The CD images are still no ready yet (180MB to delete after the last upgrade)

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
It looks like the DVD ISO has grown to be just over 4 gigs in size. I wonder how many of the current downloaders are trying to download it on Win98 and other FAT based systems that will not hold a file that large.

patelbhavesh
06-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Here is the edonkey link to 5.0.1 English version if you want to download via edonkey p2p network
ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso|4344862720|C977EA767798A5E15C6697F8AFE692E3 |h=PSEEWBTOZM4OJPO7W5GZ2SKDRVXZWJ4B|/

ckamin
06-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Harry Kuhman:

You are correct in the assumption that somebody, somewhere, will attempt to do just that. The file looks to be 3.99 Gig on the mirrors, but odds are it won't fit the FAT size limitations on disk. Wonder why we all get so optimistic about these things?

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
The file looks to be 3.99 Gig on the mirrors, but odds are it won't fit the FAT size limitations on disk.
That's curious because BT is saying that it is 4.04 gigs in size. I wonder if the mirrors are wrong, if the mirrors have a corrupt (truncated) file, or if Klaus managed to keep the size to the one byte less than 4 gig limit for this reason and BT is just reporting a somewhat high value (perhaps because of the other files included in the download, but they are normally tiny and I would not expect it to throw off the figures by that much).

When someone here gets the ISO and confirms the md5 checksum, please post the exact size of the iso file. I was going to grab it myself but aborted the BT download as soon as I saw the size; as my only XP system does not have a DVD burner and is low on free space, while my DVD burner system is still Win98 based.

gwb63
06-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Downloaded 5.0.1. DVD. Typing this now in Firefox. Running good.
Checked MD5 - was good!

Filesize - exact 4,344,862,720 bytes.

From ftp site as listed on Distrwatch.com announcement.

Took about 3 hours to get.

on-disk
06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
The ISO we were given by Klaus was 4.0G

The Check Sum for that 4G iso also checked and the test disc ran perfectly on our test systems.

And for those that do have problems with the DL, we're happy to ship them a disc.

~Karlie

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2006, 09:59 PM
The ISO we were given by Klaus was 4.0G
I'm sorry, but that doesn't really answer my question. The FAT32 file size limit is one byte less than 4 gig. Can you tell me the exact size of the ISO file to the byte, or can you at least confirm if it does indeed comply with the FAT32 maximum file size?

And for those that do have problems with the DL, we're happy to ship them a disc.

~Karlie
That's nice of you. I made the offer for 4.0.1 (which became 4.0.2). There were some but not too many takers; and only one ever sent me the promised "post card" I asked for in return. But I'm not going to ask for a freebie until I know I will be able to download and burn it myself, of if it really is 4 gig or slightly larger in size and too large for my FAT32 system. I'm assuming those interested in your offer should reach you by this site's Private Message feature.

gwb63
06-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Harry - per your request ----

The filesize of the EN version is exactly 4,344,862,720 bytes as I posted a few minutes ago.

I tested the iso in VMware 5.5 and it ran OK.

The MD5 sum posted on the ftp site given by Distrowatch.com matched.

I posted this just before the post to which you replied... maybe you didn't see?

Hope this helps.

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Harry - per your request ----

The filesize of the EN version is exactly 4,344,862,720 bytes as I posted a few minutes ago.

I tested the iso in VMware 5.5 and it ran OK.

The MD5 sum posted on the ftp site given by Distrowatch.com matched.

I posted this just before the post to which you replied... maybe you didn't see?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. No, I did't catch the first post. The website wrapped the post after it to the second page and, as I was reading the news forum pretty actively at that point I didn't think to go back and read the previous page. Your post was within about 2 minutes of the one I saw as new. My fault.

But the news is not good. By my calculation 4.0 gig is exactly 4294967296 butes and any file that size or over can not exist on a FAT partition. It's a shame that Klaus went over the 4 gig limit by such a small amount but still went over it, I expect a lot of downloaders on Win98 systems are going to be very disapointed, and it will take many quite some time to figure out what is going wrong.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get my copy.

gwb63
06-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Harry - a possible solution ----

By the way, I have vision problems, so if I mis-type, please forgive.

If you don't have already - download trial version of VMware 5.5 for your machine. Create virtual disk that can expand... on FAT32 systems, it will divide into 2gb portions. Install any system, or run live-cd, mounting temp "drive". Download full DVD into new virtual disk. Now burn to DVD, if you have DVD burner. Restart computer with DVD. If you don't have DVD burner, you can still mount and run DVD as an iso file within VMware as I did.

Good luck!

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
a possible solution ----

If you don't have already - download trial version of VMware 5.5 for your machine. Create virtual disk that can expand... on FAT32 systems, it will divide into 2gb portions. Install any system, or run live-cd, mounting temp "drive". Download full DVD into new virtual disk.
An interesting approach. I have not used Vmware, not sure that I'll have the time in the next week to teach this old dog new tricks. As to the "install any system" I'm not sure what I would use there. I own leagl copies of 98 I could install, but that wuld seem to get me to the same 4 gig issue. My only copy of XP is for my notebook (lacks a DVD burner), and while I have no positive feelings towards Bill Gates I'm not wanting to pirate a copy and deal with the authentication issues that come with it. Maybe Debian would be a good solution and it sure would be interesting to do a Debian install under Vmware, although I don't know how well it will support my DVD burner (but I guess that is the way to find out).

If others take this approach to download and burn the greater than 4 gig ISO I hope they post back to these forums their experience,

gwb63
06-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Harry - re: Vmware

I now see that you may be running Win98 on particular machine. Don't think VMware will run on Win98. Sorry.

If you can download to laptop, then connect to network with the other computer, perhaps you can mount DVD burner on Win98 machine as attached network device, and burn to it.

This is a very interesting problem to solve in future for users having Win98 systems who would like to try out large distributions. We need further input on this from everyone!

trx
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
just to contribute one more location for donwload in case other mirror are overloaded:

http://ius.bg.ac.yu:50080/temp/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.md5
http://ius.bg.ac.yu:50080/temp/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso

ckamin
06-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Both files are the same exact size when downloaded to disk. The mirror shows 3.99 Gig for the size in my browser. In Windows Exploder, they show 4.04 G in size. Under properties they show the following:

4,344,862,720 bytes for the Torrent EN version.

4,344,862,720 bytes for the FTP downloaded EN version.

I suppose Internet Exploder has lied to me again!

It's curious Indeed! I doubt they will fit on a FAT partiton.

Downloaded the CD Torrent also. I'll be seeding them both for a few days or so and hope to burn them to disk in the meantime. Can't wait to see what Santa has brought THIS time. Seeing some posts in the forums with errors already.

ckamin
06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Harry:

You can send me an address by PM and I'll send you a CD and a DVD. I'm burning a couple extra right now and it would be no problem to find them a good home.

cless-mint
06-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Isn't it supposed to be safe to write to NTFS partitions now?

ckamin
06-03-2006, 04:57 AM
cless-mint:

I hate to say it, but I am skeptical about the claim. I won't risk important data. It's bad enough that Windows messes them up. I will wait and see and experiment a bit, but I won't trust it until it has been proven in the field for a bit. The claim is "transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)". I would still put in a disclaimer "Use at your OWN risk!".

cless-mint
06-03-2006, 05:12 AM
I see. What does it mean by transparent anyway?

ruymbeke
06-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Hello,
I updated my boot ramdisk minirt_usb6.gz to boot Knoppix 5.01 from the DVD ISO image being located on the hdd.
No DVD-Rom required but a partition which can hold the +4GB ISO file: ntfs,ext2/3,reiser,... (but no fat16/32, sorry...)
cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103883#103883
Best Regards,
Gilles

Harry Kuhman
06-03-2006, 05:47 AM
I updated my boot ramdisk minirt_usb6.gz...
Gilles,
I have not tried any of your minirt tools yet, and the DVD ISO is going to take a few days to show up here. But I'm wondering if when I do get it, does it seem likely to you that I would be able to use your tool to boot the ISO from a NTFS partition on an external drive connected by a firewire/Gilles pcmcia card in an HP notebook, or is that expecting too much?

ruymbeke
06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
... does it seem likely to you that I would be able to use your tool to boot the ISO from a NTFS partition on an external drive connected by a firewire/pcmcia card in an HP notebook, or is that expecting too much?
Hi Harry,
No, it should work. That was one of my goals with booting from a USB dongle.
If you can access your ntfs partition via your 1394/pcmcia interface from a running knoppix (4.02 as an examples),
you will most likely be able to boot 5.01 from that same device after having updated your menu.lst accordingly.
Sincerely,
Gilles

BTW, the ext2 persistent home bug (ext2 partitions not recognized properly
because of a typo in the knoppix-autoconfig file) is still not fixed in 5.01.
But I have it patched (at run time using unionfs) in my minirt_usb6.gz.

FYI: The typo in the knoppix-autoconfig file: (ext3|ext3... --> ext2|ext3...)
# ext3|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;;
> ext2|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;;

Harry Kuhman
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks.

Aleu
06-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I am trying to boot the latest Knoppix CD (and DVD DVD), but the CD will not boot correctly. It hangs on the following message:

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP braodcasting for IP.udevd-event[3164]: wait_for_sysfs: waiting for '/sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver' failed

I have tried to use "knoppix nodhcp" cheat code but I get the same outcome.
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

on-disk
06-04-2006, 02:25 PM
My friend SrLinuxx posted a review with screen shots at http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/7357

"The menus are overflowing with software choices. I don't recall when I've ever seen a more abundant list of applications. Everything from Development to Utilities, the Knoppix livedvd has it all - over 10 gigs of software. I have never seen such a collection of software in any distro before."

MaldiGola
06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
CD is on the site!

torp
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
wow. 5.01 is very nice. the installer is smooth. the choices of applications are just right (like shopping at ace hardware vice super walmart). sweet. i did notice some of the error messages I got were in german. but it's all good. can't wait to go apt-get with it and add all my fav applications.

~Touche Klaus

torp

sakiZ
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi

I am d'loading the CD from the link at www.DesktopLinux.com.

No MD5 is listed however.

I tried looking at the Purdue site. They have the CD listed, but no MD5 either!!!

Anyone know this?

sakiZ

Harry Kuhman
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I am d'loading the CD from the link at www.DesktopLinux.com.

No MD5 is listed however.
Well, shame on you for not downloading from the "Get Knoppix" link near the top of this page and for not using BitTorrent (which would have included the md5 sum). But the md5 for the 5.0.1-EN CD is:
653acc801d4059598bd388de8171a20d *KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso

sakiZ
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry I can't use bitTorrent on this computer.

Everytime the download rate goes much over 100 megs/sec the computer crashes. That's with everything. So bitTorrent is a no-go.

Thanks for the MD5

sakiZ

jrandom42
06-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I can't use bittorrent or edonkey on this system, so I've been attempting to download the 5.01 DVD ISO from the mirrors. The big problem I'm having is that the downloaded image is 47.8 Mb, not 4 Gb. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aleu
06-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I can't use bittorrent or edonkey on this system, so I've been attempting to download the 5.01 DVD ISO from the mirrors. The big problem I'm having is that the downloaded image is 47.8 Mb, not 4 Gb. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What is the filesystem you are downloading Knoppix to? Is it FAT16 or FAT32? The 5.01 DVD iso image is above 4GB so it can be downloaded to NTFS or ext2/ext3 filesystems only.

jrandom42
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Attempting to download it to an NTFS drive. Tried on 3 different systems and have had no luck so far

Harry Kuhman
06-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Even though you have a NTFS system (and I assume XP) , you might be using a software tool that has the same limitations that FAT32 partitions do (Heck, Microsoft's own networking under Win98 will not transfer files larger than 2 gig!). I would suggest that you try a different tool.

scottknl
06-08-2006, 04:14 AM
I too had this problem. I downloaded the file onto my Knoppix Linux box with reiserfs file system using ftp (bittorrent is too slow for me) and then I wanted to transfer the file over to my windows box that has the DVD burner. When I transferred the file using apache webserver, the received file was always 47 Mb. I solved it by transferring the file using proftp and the full 4.1 Gb file then showed up and I was able to burn a DVD.

Hope that helps in some way.
KS

Harry Kuhman
06-08-2006, 04:46 AM
(bittorrent is too slow for me)
I think you may have helped convince some people that it can be an application issue, not just a psrtition issue. But as to BitTorent, my experience is just the opposite; it is much faster than any of the mirrors for me. And I have a friend with a high speed pipe who got the CD on Monday in just 20 minutes on BitTorrent (and he was behind a university firewall). BT is only slow if you don't configure the firewalls properly.

turbine
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Harry, I have the same setup as you in that my dvd burner is hung on my xp laptop. Here's what worked for me.
1. Downloaded to my old Debian machine. I used wget from one of the mirrors, but don't get mad.
2. Booted same machine with knoppix 4.02 cd. Did this because samba much easier to start than with old Debian.
3. Copied 5.01 DVD iso to shared folder on xp machine via samba.
4. Burned DVD on xp machine.

Hope this workes for you.

Harry Kuhman
06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Harry, I have the same setup as you .....
Thanks for the info, but my setup is different in that my DVD burner is on a desktop with Win98 and only FAT partitions. If it was on an XP system I don't think I would hav a problem.

I did get the ISO on a NTFS partition on a firewire external drive on my XP notebook and try to see if I could burn the ISO to DVD across the network and through the firewire. But Win98 would just not see the over 4 gig file and wanted to write 50 megs to the optical media as it's "burn". Yet to try, but on a long "to do list", is fire up Knoppix on that Desktop and see if it can burn the iso from across the network and through the firewire off the XP system. Not having anything but FAT partitions on the desktop, that seems the next step. But I have never even confirmed that Knoppix can burn to this DVD burner, so there are several places when this could fail.

mcreel
06-15-2006, 08:32 AM
What's the problem with just resizing the partitions on the Windows machine and installing Linux there, so that you can directly use the DVD burner from Linux? Or just chunk in a hard drive you scavenge from somewhere, if you don't want to resize partitions. That seems a lot easier. Too much messing around with Windows is not good for productivity.

chanio
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM
(bittorrent is too slow for me)
I think you may have helped convince some people that it can be an application issue, not just a psrtition issue. But as to BitTorent, my experience is just the opposite; it is much faster than any of the mirrors for me. And I have a friend with a high speed pipe who got the CD on Monday in just 20 minutes on BitTorrent (and he was behind a university firewall). BT is only slow if you don't configure the firewalls properly.
:lol:
Does anybody know how to create a torrent seed from an ftp iso image at another site?
Am I dreaming or is it as simple as this to start a new torrent seed when someone wants to download from an ftp site?
If someone knows how to do it with Azureus, please, describe it clearly so that everybody could make torrent seeds.
The Spanish distribution is never seeded, but always has an ftp download. (what a shame)

ckamin
06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
The Spanish distribution is never seeded, but always has an ftp download

I only know of two official versions. The DE and the EN. If you are downloading a Spanish version, it must be a re-mastered disk.

I don't think you can just create a torrent from someone's FTP site. You would probably need to have access to the file and permissions on the server. You can start one locally from your own machine or server. I haven't tried to do one from an FTP Mirror, so I can't be absolutely sure, but it does not sound likely.

Prometeus
06-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Based on Knoppix 5.01 and Kanotix

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24563&sid=8c901b85f36eb1669b175a5fd089d6e4

chris-ukl
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
If you go here (http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=2189) you will find Knoppix 5.0.1 set up as a screensaver for Microsoft Windows. No guarantee that it will save your screen, of course !
Direct BitTorrrent link is here (http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=2189&name=KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN-screensaver.iso.torrent)
and screenshot is here
http://linuxtracker.org/uploads/2189.png
There's loads more of all sorts of Linuxes at LinuxTracker (http://linuxtracker.org/)

OP4Latino
07-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I see. What does it mean by transparent anyway?

So it's been more than a month already. Has anyone tested this transparent NTFS writing solution?

Thank you

Jacky
07-25-2006, 01:33 AM
It seems to work quite well. I have been testing quite a lot with no problems so far. See my results here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25032

Aleu
09-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering is the KNOPPIX distribution dead? It is been a long while since the last release...

Regards,
Aleu

ruymbeke
09-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering is the KNOPPIX distribution dead? It is been a long while since the last release...
Regards,
Aleu

It looks like that Klaus is working on a 5.1 release according to this post:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2006/09/msg00018.html

"...I tend to believe that this is a bug in the cups or foomatic packages
that were in Debian/unstable at that time. It will probably be
fixed/obsoleted by Knoppix 5.1, where the web frontend should also
contain the FULL printer list..."

So as you can read, there is hope for a new release...
Best Regards,
Gilles

Aleu
09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
So as you can read, there is hope for a new release...
Gilles

Indeed, however it seems to me that ages passed since the last release. Well, I guess I need to be more patient... Thanks

Regards,
Aleu

linuxchica
11-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Yeah, sucks waiting around for a new release of your fav. OS. It's always worth the wait in the end. Nobody wants a rushed but crappy release, right?

johnrw
11-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I will admit I have been waiting for the next one, so for the others who are doing the same... I'll just
quote Klaus from the debian list regarding the whereabouts of Knoppix 5.1.

"When it's ready". This was supposed to be in beginning of October. :-(
Since then, a lot of new things appeared in Debian and GNU/Linux, which
I'm still catching up on while trying not to break too many things
again. Also, I had to switch knopper.net to a new provider (but finally
running on a pure Debian), which also took some time that I had planned
for Knoppix.

I'm now aiming for next week. No promises. I always say that. ;-)

Regards
-Klaus Knopper

SkyLP
11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Introducing KNOPPIX version 5.01

The 5.01 DVD will be officially released to the public on June 2, 2006 and is currently available ONLY on DVD media.

With 5.0.1 KNOPPIX moves from a "Live Distribution" to being a "Full Distrobution". The KNOPPIX 5.0.1 Live DVD contains updated from 5.0 which saw some major changes in the unionfs-based file system, new hardware detection and autoconfiguration, and a more "genuine Debian" oriented selection of packages. Apart from this, the harddisk install option ("knoppix-installer") has been extended by Martin Öhler, based on the work of Fabian Franz, featuring a "live update" of specific packages from a new version of the live DVD or CD.

KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational DVD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos.

It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the DVD can have over 8GB of executable software installed on it.
Click here to view Screen Shots of Knoppix 5.0.

* Linux Kernel 2.6.15.4
* Debian (testing/unstable)
* Xorg Version 6.9
* udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
* KDE 3.5.1, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
* OpenOffice 2.0.1 (german+english)
* transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
* new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
* Many Updates...

Hi Guys,
Version 5.x is the nice distribution, but I discovered, that Xorg version is not compatible with XFree86 :(
As I tried to install TrollTech's QT development set, it is not compilable anymore.
QT is the good development environment but I cannot spend time following OS upgrades which aren't so badly needed.
Graphics works fine in the XFree86. I'd better stay with 4.x and loose other improvements:(

Considering lack of useful applications in Linux and very few development environments I would spend some time investigating the question
if a useful application stops running if I make the upgrade.

Nope. No home work.

Again, learning curve in the Linux world offten mentioned as a some kind or curse over Linux and this is learning curve again.
Tricks and tips how to overcome existing improvements.

I saw very wise sticker an a car the other day:
"Don't fix it while it's working"

Regards, Igor

ruymbeke
12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello,
Please find below some update from Klaus Knopper on the debian mailing list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2006/12/msg00009.html
"...hopefully...before the year is over"
Thank you Klaus for the update and the persistent work !
Cheers,
Gilles

Dear List,
To give you a brief overview about what we have done recently, and
what's still pending, and to maybe also give our valued reader Gilles
something to satisfy his curiosity ( ;-) ), here is a short list.

Done (in the DVD version):
==========================

- Kernel 2.6.19(.1) + fuse 2.6.1

- Replacing unionfs by aufs for better stability & performance

- KDE 3.5.5

- ntfs-3g (12.12.2006), works with "knoppix tohd="

- ntfsprogs-Update (fixes possible but not yet verified problems
with Windows Vista Partition resizing)

- integration of desktop option 3D WM beryl+emerald as add-on for KDE
(with absolutely no proprietary drivers, therefore it won't work with
NVidia cards, sorry). This is supposed to be one of the "highlights"
of this release. Looks spiffy and has some very useful desktop helper
functions such as realtime zoom, sorted window overview, transparency
(teachers can blend slides over program output & similar), and much
more. You should try it. ;-)

- "The Big Fat Update" (Debian etch)

- Fixing everything that apparently didn't work anymore after TBFU.

- Script for creating a bootable memorystick from the live system
(Martin Öhler)

- OpenOffice 2.0.4 (I know, it's already obsolete, see below...)

- Bugfixes/Patches for freenx, knoppix-terminalserver, and tons of script fixes
we got complaints for not working under different not-so-rare
conditions. (Martin Öhler & me)

Pending:
========

- Thinking about whether to completely remove the knoppix-installer, or take
another week for rewriting it from scratch, or keep the current
"works-occasionally" version.

- OpenOffice 2.1 (today)

- Testing on various hardware (just to make sure it does not break
anything accidentially, but the public version is, as always,
still "experimental". ;-)

- Deleting 75% of the software contained in the DVD version, in order to
create the CD version. This will be a very time-consuming task. I tend
to release the DVD a few days earlier that the CD because of this.

I'm not giving a release date, but hopefully (no promises) we get it
ready before the year is over.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper