PDA

View Full Version : planning new install for Knoppix

Q1tum
05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I have some experiens with Knoppix, I'm planning to install a new version on my computer.

I noticed that 5.0.1. is going to be releeased in a view days, would you recommend that I wait for that release or install 4.0.2?

I searched this forum and did not find any question regarding this, if there is one I'm sorry that I have ask this question again :)

Regards,

Q1tum

RandomGoon
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
It's quite well documented in these forums that Knoppix is NOT recomended for installation to hard disk - although it's still an option if you insist on doing so. That being said, on the release notes for the impending 5.0.1 there seems to be some note of an improved installation that more closely resembles Debian. And if you're going to install to hard drive why not try the full blown Debian installation instead of a Live CD (DVD in this case)? I'm sure Harry would agree that Etch is the way to go if you want to do that :)

'Goon

Q1tum
05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I never installed a full debian (woody), but I will take a look into that, search the internet, there should be more then enough howto's available :)

thanks for your advise

Q1tum
05-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I just found something what is interesting for me perhaps:

http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/Home.html

Is anyone using GenieOS or is it not recommended for a 'newbe' to linux?

Regards,

Q1tum

Harry Kuhman
05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I never installed a full debian (woody), but I will take a look into that
Woody is very out of date. Sarge is the current "Stable" version, but even that is very old, I would suggest Etch, which is the current testing version. In spite of the "testing" term, Etch is pretty stable and is much newer than Sarge or Woddy (much of Knoppix is Etch code).

drb
05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Kanotix has an excellent installer. Start with LiveCD and install from there (Easter-RC4 is the latest). Kanotix forum and IRC is excellent for any issues.

Q1tum
05-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Just finished installing Linux Etch, this was almost easier and mtuch faster then Windows hehe

Thanks for the replies