PDA

View Full Version : problems with ppp and kppp

apax
05-11-2003, 11:34 PM
I am having problems with user acccounts for kppp and pppd. When trying to connect with kppp, I got a message saying could not access /var/syslog /var/messages /var/syslog.ppp. I went and did a chmod 755 to pppd and kppp and the /var/syslog & /var/messages. /var/syslog.ppp does not exist.

After trying again, I now get an error message that it cannot open the ppp log file. I can't see a ppp.log file anywhere.

As root, I can log connect no probs. Similarly, if I su from a terminal and start kppp, I can also connect. It just doesn't want to let me connect as a normal user. :x

My modem and connection settings are fine, as they both work on RH and Slackware, just not on this distro (Knoppix).

MattT
05-12-2003, 04:18 AM
You shouldn't have to chmod anything. This will only make your system less secure. Just add your user accounts to the groups you need. The easy way is to go to K > System > KUser and edit your users. Check that they have access to the dialout group and stuff like that.

Hope that does the trick :)

apax
05-12-2003, 10:08 AM
I only changed my settings to that of what is on my Slackware default setup. e.g

chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
chmod u+s /usr/bin/kppp

I can dial up fine and connect. But nothing happens. Even though I am connected, when I try to access any site I get an error message saying site not found.

I added myself to the dialout group, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?